View Single Post
Old 08-23-2007, 12:31 AM   #7
aaronrcheng

The bumper is made out of hand-laid fiberglass. I was a little concerned about the material until I learned that my Dad's real Techart Kit is actually made of fiber glass as well (granted, much higher quality with extra reinforcements). The parts he makes are actually molded off of Techart componenets (the fin splitters in the front air damns still have "Techart" embossed on them.

The bumper fitment is excellent. The body shop had to do some minor modifications (cutting the steel frame of my front bumper... sounds alot worse than it actually was), but after that, it fit like a glove. The side skirts fitment is mediocre at best because it doesn't meet flush with the side of the body... all side skirts (even the real thing) is attached with double sided tape, but its beginning to separate slightly after just having the car for one day.

I purchased the parts from a local manufacturer in Torrance, CA. www.precisionporsche.com

All of the parts are hand-made in the facility using hand laid fibers cloth over molds followed by the resin. Its then coated in a gelcoat. Quality is very high... much better than most sprayed fiberglass kits. You just need to prime it and paint it.

they also have a number of polyurethane kits (a 996 turbo style, and a 997 GT3 style) but when I saw them, I wasn't very impressed

1.) They're VERY heavy and droopy. Apparently over time and in very high temperatures, the shape of polyurethane parts can change significantly. After having seen and touched the parts, I don't doubt it. The texture is much more like Rubber mixed with plastic.

2.) Its mold-injected so there are usually some imperfections such as air bubbles or extra lines and creases that you can't just easily sand off and refinish. The molds are very expensive (apparently over $15,000 per model to make) and if they made a small error on it, they're not going to fix it,

3.) Fitment is a little more difficult based off of the parts he showed me.

The benefit is that they are in fact more durable meaning if you get into a very light bump, the kit wont' crack (although the paint will).
aaronrcheng is offline   Reply With Quote