Thread: driver training
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2007, 11:06 AM   #14
J-RAD

I agree with iflyadesk. Autocross and DE is an apples to anvils comparison. True, you do both in a car and there is a course to drive around but after that the similarities stop. The techniques are between the two are just different - primarily as a result of the differences in speeds and course design.

I'd love to see Topless's autocross courses that "regularly reach 80mph on the straights" - assuming we're not talking some highly modified cars here. I don't think I've ever seen one that would've required me to get out of second gear (and you're not doing 80 mph in 2). Overall speeds are significantly lower (30's).

Again, the two are just different animals. There is no reason to be intimated with either event (Autocross or DE). Personally, the idea of driving around some cones in a parking lot while in second gear does nothing for me. But that doesn't mean someone else won't like it.

Whatever the case, you guys need to be familiar with "The Pyramid of Speed".

Have fun!

"It is better to enter a corner slow, and come out fast, than to enter a corner fast, and come out dead." - Sir Stirling Moss

Last edited by J-RAD; 08-20-2007 at 11:10 AM.
J-RAD is offline   Reply With Quote