Thread: new waterpump
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2007, 09:41 AM   #12
williamsF1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabel
Over the last several weeks I have noticed an intensifying grinding sound, like bad bearings, so I dropped by my mechanic this morning. No visible leaks, but she is going in later today for what will probably be a Water Pump replacement. It's a 99 with 92k on the OD. From what little service information information I found prior to me owing the car indicates the WP is original.

Just glad it did not fail while I was on vacation last week.
I have noticed a bad bearing / brake whine sound as well, but most of the time it is not there - when I try to diagnose it I cannot replicate the sound, its suddenly there. However I have power-steering problems. If I drive for 1-2 hours sometimes the steering wheel feels like there is sand in the mechanism but the power steering is still doing its job, it's not hard to turn the wheel. I had the car checked for servo-fluid and they said all was just fine and they asked me to bring the car in for a check next time the sand-problem reappeared so they could diagnose it.

Could my worn servo-pump be the cause of this bad bearing sound problem like a water pump can make this sound ? Its very hard to tell where the sound comes from and it is most noticeably when the roof down.

Its only a month since I changed my water-pump, when it 'broke' I had a pretty loud rotating sound almost like a old coffee maker and had it replaced pretty soon after I noticed it.

BTW. Any guesses if a worn servo could cause a rattle sound ? I have one that goes away when the car is warmed up pretty well. Its very noticeable between 1-3 gear changes but a mechanic that checked it said it wasn't transmission but more likely heat shields - They gave me a price for the heat shields (cheap), but I have no clue how much work is involved with replacing the heat-shields - hourly rates are very high!

Last edited by williamsF1; 08-16-2007 at 09:45 AM.
williamsF1 is offline   Reply With Quote