View Single Post
Old 08-15-2007, 08:31 AM   #5
loftedbooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblclutch

I'm in the market for an '01 Porsche Boxster S. In Toronto, I'd say an average price (private sale) would be about $27K to 29K. In the U.S, it looks like you can find '01's from like $18K to $20K

Love to hear your experience!
hi im also in toronto and i look at porsche prices all the time id say for 2001 S you can do much better then 27-29 here.

the next car i get will for sure be from the US because of the huge savings we can get there.

just a few things i know if you buy a car from the US that was ASSEMBLED outside of NAFTA you will have to pay 6.5 import fee to canada, along with canadian GST. there is also a fee once you get to the boarder of about 200$. even after these charges the savings are still huge (in the thousands).

if you are buying from a dealership make sure you show them your canadian residence so you arnt charged US taxes.. also some states WILL charge you US taxes so do your research. a good source is redflagdeals.com go to the automotive form and search for the thread about importing to canada, lots of links and info there.

some cars need to have some modifications done when brought to canada example: day time running lights, 5mph bumper. i only know of one situation of a imported boxster that needed to have the bumper replaced.

there is an official canadian govt list of vehicals that can be imported, among the guidelines.

make sure you ask the manufacturer about warrenty tranfer from US to Canada do not ask dealerships they will lie. i think you also need some kind of letter from the manufacturer saying its ok to import the vehical.

some dealerships near the canadian boarder are instructed not to sell to canadians, so buying priviate might be the way to go.

these are the savings the dealers dont want you to know about. buying a car in canada with the high dollar is almost the most stupid thing you could do right now. ive read some stories of people saving upwards of 20k on buying used vehicals from the US (the savings arnt nearly as great as buying new from the us)

again make sure you do your research or you can hit some very bad snags.(some people have reported buying cars in the US which are banned in canada so when they get to the boarder they are not let in with the car). the minimal effort from buying from the US is worth it in the end!

to drburton, beware of anything that stands out as a scam. most canadian buyers are just looking to save some huge coin and will be paying the full amount in cash as we cannot finance easily in the US.

Last edited by loftedbooch; 08-15-2007 at 08:37 AM.
loftedbooch is offline   Reply With Quote