View Single Post
Old 08-14-2007, 06:41 PM   #3
boxstershorts

I just went through importing an 03 S (and it's fantastic!). I recommend paying for transporting the car across the border (you don"t have to get a transit for which you have to pay state taxes and then try to get reimbursed later). Some border points allow you to fax the title 72 hrs ahead of time so that the truck can drive right through and drop the car off in your driveway if you prearrange a customs broker to take care of paperwork. Then you have to do both Fed and Prov inspections (no big deal but the speedo and day lights are the two mods you need...plus you"ll need a letter from Porsche stating there are no open recalls on the box).

It's a huge amount of pain (find the car, convince the seller you're not a Nigerian scammer, get as many photos as possible, get the CARFAX, have it inspected at the nearest dealer, negociate price, pay him through foreign exchange, arrange for transport and customs, mod the car, do the inspections) but after about 5-8 weeks, you'll be in Porsche Heaven with 5-20K$ in savings.

In Canada I was looking at a 2000 base model...for the same price I got a 2003 S in the US. Not a bad trade.
boxstershorts is offline   Reply With Quote