View Single Post
Old 08-14-2007, 08:31 AM   #19
Burg Boxster

yes - the tape wraps over the guide. You'll need to pull the guide wire out a bit to slide it underneath. IIRC, the guide wire you see runs the entire side of the soft top up to where it meets the A pillar. The ticking/rattle sound happens most when the top is up as the wire isn't as tight thus it taps against the guide.

For the door latch, you're checking for the alignment of the catch (in the door) vs the latching loop on the frame in the car. Problem might be alignment or your loop or it is just plain worn/wearing out. You can replace it, or try and adjust. (I've heard some people have had luck w/ just flipping it upside down but I have no knowledge of it first hand). To do either, you'll need a triple square bit (looks somewhat like torx but has 12 points - I think it's size M8 ???).

I recommend you wrap it with electrical tape to see if it's the issue and rattle goes away. If so, then unwrap electrical tape and rewrap w/ masking tape to see where the tape wears and adjust the latch accordingly (usually towards the wear markings / towards the interior). There are hash marks in the jamb and latch to help you align/adjust minimally. You'll need to loosen both to move. Make sure you mark your starting point for adjustment or replacement so you have a good reference point (outline it w/ a grease pen or the like). Here are some pictures to help:

I marked where the alignment hash marks are in the body with white arrows for reference:

Good luck but definitely wrap w/ electrical tape first to see if it solves the problem.
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote