View Single Post
Old 08-13-2007, 07:19 PM   #1
Bobiam

Radiator leak - experience needed, please

I purchased this 2001 Boxster several weeks ago (private sale). It has a minor leak of coolant under the driver’s side radiator which I figured to be a loose hose clamp, since an out-of-state mechanic changed a hose 200 miles before I bought it (I have receipt). WRONG! I tightened the lower hose clamps at both ends and the hose was drippy with coolant. Thought I had it, but not so such luck!

I just pulled off the left front wheel and the plastic inner fender to reveal more. There is nothing leaky that is visible from behind the inner fender.

When carefully examining the front of the radiator through the driver’s side grill, a tiny wet trickle runs down the radiator casing from top to bottom. Looking through the vents at the bottom of the flexible bumper skin, the black plastic front edge of the radiator is visible and is all wet.

There is a plastic plug “looking” item at the top front corner of the radiator that is covering the leak area with a 1.5” diameter rubber shroud looking thing. The plug thing is a half inch in diameter and has some visible threads. The end of it is a X shape that appears to need a special tool for turning it. It goes through a minor piece of painted metal framing. I’d say that THIS IS THE CULPRIT.

Does anyone know what it is, and how it might be tightened or replaced. I can reach it with my hand and arm forced through the bumper skin bottom vent hole, so the right tool can reach it without much difficulty.

If I give this thing to a dealer I’ll need a second mortgage to pay for it. I really need good experienced advice on this. I’m hoping that it does not need a radiator, but if necessary, I’ll disassemble the nose and work on it this winter. The leak has little effect on the coolant level over the 5 weeks that I’ve owned it. I assume that I have Porsche specified coolant. It’s green like common antifreeze…..is the original coolant green?

Help please.

Bob
Bobiam is offline   Reply With Quote