View Single Post
Old 08-11-2007, 09:28 PM   #6
trube78

Try Ebay

1. Ebay frequently has lots of 2, 3, 4, or 5 filters for 5 to 10 bucks a piece. Most include the o-ring and drain plug seal. You may have to wait till you find the right price (don't forget shipping charges) but they are there. I got 6 for $36 last year.
2. Some of the board sponsors will have them for about $11 with o-ring and plug seal.
3. A few of the parts retail stores can get them usually special order ... beware that some do not have the o-ring and plug seal. Plug seals are usually easily available; o-rings maybe not.
4. Porsche recommended fill is Mobile One 0W40. Other oils are on the approved list but the only approved weights are 0W40 and 5W40. These weights are typically referred to as non-seasonal. Although I think the tech Bulletin says above -12F either weight can be used but below -12F use 0W40.
5. I am sure other folks will say other oils and weights are ok. Porshe has specified only hydrocracked or synthetic oils and two weights so ...
6. I am guessing most folks on here do not follow the 15K or 1 year oil change interval, unless they are in the 5K per year range. Then it is a yearly change.
7. Finally mixing different oils for top up can be a problem. If you use mobile one buy a quart extra to top off if required. Some manufacturers additive packages do not mix well and mixing a hydrocracked with a synth is a potential problem. For this reason (and a few more), I am a fan of changing the oil filter every oil change. Besides you are already right there under the car.
Hope this helps.
ATB,
Tom
trube78 is offline   Reply With Quote