View Single Post
Old 08-11-2007, 06:58 AM   #6
Cloudsurfer

This is really a question of "how much does it matter to you?" If you really want good sound in a convertible, though it is generally an oxymoron, it can be done but is definitely not cheap. I have the advantage of a $7k audio install in my car courtesy of a friend's shop that cost me 1/3 of that, and it is incredible, and yes, it still sounds great top down at 65mph.

Getting back to reality for most of us, if you already have a decent head unit (the factory is not great), keep it. The factory amp is really not great, and if its already gone, I certainly would never advise anyone purchase one again. Get a decent amp for a few hundred dollars and call it a day. As for speakers, if you want real bass in the car you're going to need some kind of sub and an amp to power it. The focal 5 1/4's ARE impressive, however keep in mind you now only have the 4" driver in the dash (assuming you went that route) doing all mid-bass duty and to me that doesn't fly so well.

I would either do 6 1/2's in the doors (very easy to modify) and run them full range (you'll get OK bass out of that) or run 6 1/2's in the doors and add a sub in the passenger footwell for real bass.

Given that you dont want to spend $700 (which is cheap in audio land) I would say get a decent amp from someone like Zapco, or JL Audio or equivalent, and run a 6 1/2 component set full range as that will be the best bang for the buck.

Patrick
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote