View Single Post
Old 08-08-2007, 10:16 PM   #15
Burg Boxster

I'm on vacation (sadly w/out the Boxster until Sunday night). I'll take a picture of it Monday night and will post. In the mean time, here's a more detailed description of where the tape should be:

Open the top so that there is about 12" between the edge of the top and body of the car. Look into the cavity where the top goes, about 6 inches from the end of the door. You will see a red cap on part of the top mechanism. Now look a few inches further to the rear and you will see a cable that terminates on a connector with a washer and torx screw (as shown in photo above). Note that the cable is bare for about an inch and then is covered with a black insulator. Where the cable ends you will see a 1" wide thin metal plate covered with plastic tape that acts as a guide/clamp for the cable. Check to see if the piece of clear plastic tape is worn through to the metal. If it is, cover with a new piece of packing tape. Check the other side and you should see the same thing.

For those that replaced the tape and it didn't solve, you might want to check these two things as well - door latch (wrap a piece of electrical tape around the part on the body to see if it stops. If it does, your latch is out of alignment.

Or, when was the last time your top was lubed - especially the center cross bar? While driving, push up on the canvas just behind the crossbar to see if it stops.

I post a detailed photo of the "taped" area on Monday.
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote