View Single Post
Old 08-05-2007, 12:56 PM   #1
khaluk

this forum saved me from being scammed $5000

2000 Boxster

After a nightmare of trying to diagnose billowing white smoke, and my car being towed to mechanic after mechanic I finally found out what was wrong.

The last mechanic that had my car was referred by another very trustworthy mechanic, as "the Porsche expert" I told him about the experiences of the members of the Forum, and it sounds like the AOS (Air Oil Separator) - which seems to be a common problem with Boxsters.
He seemed to ignore my suggestion, and after having the car for a week, and charging me $226 for the diagnosis, he said it was a blown head gasket and it would cost $5000 (but he'd put the $226 towards the repair cost!!!).

Something told me that I shouldn't trust him and I had it towed for the third time to the Porsche dealership. They said that it was the AOS and it would cost $850 which was more than usual for that repair because of the excess amount of oil - so they had to take off the manifold to clean it out.

I appreciate all of the people that post their experiences here, because I probably would have taking the scammers word and got the work done. I'm no mechanic by any means, but it's really important to learn as much as possible to prevent being ripped off.

BEWARE OF: Evolved Auto Recyclers, 604-944-3800, Port Coquitlam, BC, Canada
khaluk is offline   Reply With Quote