View Single Post
Old 08-04-2007, 06:58 PM   #7
navpat1

More Rear Wheel Bearing

My 2002 S has been making the kind of sounds described for nearly 1k miles. Sounds like I have heavy-lugged mud and snow tires on the car. Took it to Porsche Monterey for a diagnosis (Its a certified pre-owned) and their opinion was: Pirelli tires. They switched sides on the rear tires and told me to try that for a while. I specifically asked if there were some element of danger in case of a complete failure of a wheel bearing and the service manager's answer was no. Having no recourse I drove away thinking I would drive for a while and see. On the way back to the central valley the sound began changing with differing throttle application, though not a lot. To me, that puts the tire theory back on the shelf. Question, how bad can it get before the dealer will step up with warranty work. This diagnosis surprised me, as both the sellers and the fixers there have impressed me with their integrity. Has anyone had this task done under new car or certified used warranty?

I really, really love the car, but I was extremely put off by this diagnosis followed by what is, to me at least, audible evidence to the contrary. I have never had a porsche this new, but am an ex 914 2.0, 356 T-5 and 911 S owner. This car takes me closest to what I feel is pure sports car. Aside from this incident and beyond whatever the outcome is, I do love the car and would truly appreciate any assistance. Finally, please understand that I have no ill-will toward this dealer, I just happen to think the person in question was wrong this time. Pat Bodin
navpat1 is offline   Reply With Quote