View Single Post
Old 08-03-2007, 07:09 PM   #1
unclepaulie

Question Side Windows go up on their own.

Hi folks,

Both my 97 Boxster side windows are going up on their own randomly while driving with my convertible top down. I can lower them with the center console buttons but after about 5 minutes, they both will go up all the way again. Sometimes just the driver side will go up. I have not establish a pattern yet. Basically, it appears the windows have a mind of their own, they come up whenever they want. Sometimes even after I park the car in the garage with the top down, they would come up after a few minutes, on their own.

This problem started the same time when I broke one of the convertible top push rod connectors. I since replaced both top push rods with the new white connectors. I think that operation was a success, the top is working but the windows are acting strange. Not sure if they are related, thought I just mention it.

I just got the car second hand, no history, not familiar with how things work. Please excuse me for asking questions that may be obvious to you experienced owners:

Question#1
When I put the convertible top all the way down (the dash board light goes off), both side windows immediately go all the way up. I don't remember that happening before I repaired the push rods. Is that normal? Is that a sign of something is wrong?

Question#2
Does anyone know if there are sensors in the convertible top transmissions (that pushes the top and clamshell up and down)? Could it be that my transmission(s) is not in the correct position after I replaced the push rods, so that the sensor(s), if there is any, is making the windows go up.

Question#3
The previous owner put in such elaborate speaker systems, the doors were really worked on to get all the wiring and speakers in. Could some kind of short in the door panel cause the windows to act like this? But it is both sides happening at the same time, it would be a real coincidence.

Question#4
The 2 infra red eyes on top of the windshield right next to the light and the hinge where the top catches on, what should be in there? My plastic lenses fell off, I looked inside, I don't see anything that looks like sensors. Looks like an empty bracket. Is that for cars with alarms only? I don't have an alarm. It is not for sensors related to windows, is it? There is 2 more such infra red lenses in the middle console by the parking brake as well. What are they for? I did not open them up and look. Are they used for windows?

I am a little frustrated here. Any help is appreciated. I am pretty handy, I thought I would give it a try before I go to the dealer.

unclepaulie
unclepaulie is offline   Reply With Quote