View Single Post
Old 07-31-2007, 11:55 AM   #19
racer_d

Define "irreversible" mods

1) Seats. Stock seats weigh 50 or so pounds. Get a nice lightweight race seat. Figure they weigh about 20lbs ea, so there is 60 lbs saved, maybe more.

2) Muffler. I am told the stock system oi very heavy. Likely save another 30 or so pounds with aftermarket units... I am sure a search here would help you out.

3) Remove spare, toolkit etc - another 20 or so lbs my guess

4) Lightweight battery - maybe shave another 10lbs there

So.. there is the first 100lbs.. the rest, well, now it gets harder... If you went with lightweight "carerra" rims, you could shave off maybe 5-10lb/corner (20-40lbs)... Also, check wieghts of your proposed tires. Some are heavier than others. This could add up, plus it reduces unsprung weight which improves performance

What can you remove without penalty? Side airbags? Front airbags? How about removing the soft top and its weight with a factory hard top? Do you really need heat and airconditioning? if not.. rip them out! Do you "need" to have side windows (and all that electric hardware?)

Loose the windstopper (light, but still, a pound is a pound) Remove cupholders, lower center console (I put in the GT3 console more for the looks and increased legroom, but it is lighter than the stock one.

Check to make sure you account for any required safety gear that needs to be in the car to meet regulations.

Just some ideas.
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote