View Single Post
Old 07-30-2007, 03:13 PM   #6
Boxtaboy
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudanova
Do you have to get a new reinstallation kit? I heard from someone that it uses a different type of "screws", and requires a retrofit kit from the dealer to reinstall it that needs redrilling to adapt the hinges again. Is this true, or do you simply unscrew the mounting hinges, and then rescrew them?
It depends what version of the console you have in your car right now. If you have the one with the older hinge setup (Porsche updated the hinge because it would break easily) and are replacing it with a new console, you can buy a retrofit hinge repair kit from the dealer. Installation of this is not hard, you just need to use a pop rivet gun to install the hinge kit.

When installing my painted console, a friend of mine realized that I did need the hinge kit, and luckily for me, he had bought an extra one from the dealer when he installed his painted console, so he let me use it. Mine is an 01, so if your car is older than an 01, you will probably need the hinge kit.

However, if you are simply removing your current console, having it painted, and then reinstalling the same console, then you won't need the hinge kit.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red

Last edited by Boxtaboy; 07-30-2007 at 03:23 PM.
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote