Thread: Lease Trader?
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2007, 11:45 AM   #9
racer_d

I have 2 kids.. both small and in car seats.. Yes there is a lot of crap parents *think* they *need* to tote along. One kid, compared to two, is a cake walk.

So..

1) Do not rid the boxster of your pile of cars
2) Don't bother bringing up the whole babyseat boxster thing.. see item 3
3) Realize the wife will NEVER fall for that since in her mind the safest place for her baby is the middle seat of some inpenatrable fortress. Your wife will read immense amounts of propaganda about babies and car seats.. it is amazing to think that you and she even made it to your current age, despite no doubt being tossed in the back of the family wagon with no thought of wearing a seatbelt.
4) keep the boxster for YOU to enjoy on weekends. The kid doesn't need to go with you on your Latte run or Hardware store run.
5) You already lease/own practical cars for parenthood. you both will treasure an escape vehicle

Once the kid is about 8mo and no longer in a rear facing infant carrier, and your stuck driving some oversized guzzler will you look back fondly on you Boxster days and wonder why you gave it up.

Some additional free thoughts: it is the MINIVAN, and NOT the SUV that is the perfect family machine. I am sure you scoff at the van with the powerdoors. Then, try holding the kid in one hand, watch the 2nd kid, all in the rain, while coming out of the grocery store with yet more wipes and diapers. Changin the kids on the easy to access 3rd seat, or flat floor is another triumph.

Minivans lack style, but they are the perfect TOOL for the job. SUVs are too high to gracefully climb into (real suvs that is).. and then to do so in heels (your wife, i assume) while perched on a running board and putting the car seat into its base. Or trying to reach the top of the rear gate when its fully up... and, well, you may think to yourself, "who really needs 20 cup holders"... well.. it amazing what you will cram into them (toys, electronics, dirty diapers, dvds, wipes, the annoying noisy toy that "junior" won't live without when in the car..blah blah )
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)

Last edited by racer_d; 07-30-2007 at 11:54 AM.
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote