View Single Post
Old 07-30-2007, 09:22 AM   #4
blue2000s
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccwchew
Thanks for the help Blue2000S. I'll give it a go in a weekend or two when I get some time. I'm even tempted now to buy a B&M shoft shifter kit and install it myself.

I just compared the price to buy one online from B&M, and it would be a substantial saving compared to the Porsche dealership quote.
Installing the B&M is pretty easy. Cutting off the stock bushings is a bit of a pain and getting the cables adjusted correctly can take a little time.

The Porsche short shift kit comes with the shifter pre-installed into the black support frame, it's more of a bolt-in affair, that's how Porsche justifies the 2x price. B&M did make the Porsche shifter for a number of years, though, so it was the same part. Porsche has recently switched to a plastic shifter, similar in construction to the stock unit.

Mine was $55 off ebay. I figured if I didn't like the way the short shifter worked, I'd only be out $55 and if it was poor quality, I'd go to the B&M. It turns out that there's no noticeable difference between the knock-off ant the B&M except for the bushings. I replaced the bushings with teflon pieces and kept the knockoff. I'm pretty happy with it.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote