View Single Post
Old 07-28-2007, 04:24 AM   #7
Boxtaboy
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
I'm with Grizz, sounds like an IMS failure. Koboxster, if the engine is shot then replacement comes next. Nobody rebuilds these things...they just throw them away and replace like tissue paper. I don't think Porsche will even sell the M96 engine components, if something is slighty out of spec or broken they just want you to replace the whole damn engine!
Actually, Porsche has a new engine "Tear down" policy. Instead of just authorizing a full engine replacement off the start, they now ask dealers to first tear down the engine to see if it can be fixed at the facility. Here's a recent post on another board about a guy who just went through this:

"
Quick re-cap from my previous post: 2003 Boxster with 33K. Engine quit Saturday while driving 75mph on the highway.

1. MarcW was right on. I picked up my loaner car today and spoke with the dealer and the regional Porsche rep who happened to be at the shop. MarcW is correct. Porsche has changed their policy of simply replacing 986/996 failed engines with factory rebuilt units fresh from Germany. The new policy requires the dealer to "tear down" the engine and identify whether or not it can be fixed at the dealer‘s service shop.

2. The regional Porsche rep told me that Porsche dealers have had the ability to fix these engines for the past two years, but that most dealers just sent the engines back to Germany and replaced them with a factory rebuilt unit. By "ability" he meant the books (directions), tools, and parts.

3. The Porsche rep was as nice as he was honest. I told him that I wouldn't think twice about buying a used Boxster with a factory rebuilt engine, but I would almost certainly think long and hard about a Boxster that had undergone major engine work at the dealer. He agreed that he would do the same. I asked about what types of long-term reliability issues I might have with this engine and he acknowledged that this was an unknown (since this is a new Porsche policy). Not reassuring, but at least he was honest.

4. All agreed that since I was 2 months outside of the factory warranty- I was lucky I had bought a certified pre-owned (CPO) Porsche. Though I have to believe that a Porsche owner 2 months out of warranty with 33,000 miles would be grandfathered in on something this major, but who knows...."

There's more in the post, but basically, you will not automatically get a new engine right off the start anymore. Hope your car is back on the road fast. Good luck.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote