View Single Post
Old 07-26-2007, 02:58 PM   #5
iflyadesk

If I read you guys correctly, the car needs more tire and camber in the front. So, probably a good first step would be GT3 control arms, 245s, and a strut brace (how much of a factor is the strut brace?). Additionally, I'll get the sways.

To answer one question, the way NASA-TT works is you are assessed points for each mod. So you get to choose your mods, rather than say having springs alone bump you into street prepared, like Solo II. I'm pretty confident I could work in every mod I want and still be within the base class for this car (TTC).

I'm a bit confused on the tires. Are you saying I should run 245s all round, but keep the 7/8.5 wheel staggering? One of the rules for TTC is you are assessed points for the tire width of the widest tire. So, if I had 205/255s, I'd be charged for having 255s. However, if I ran 245s all around, it'd actually be less points than the previous setup.

I was pretty proud of my 1.5 deg neg camber... I guess it needs much more.

Finally is springs. I want more spring, but there are only two available: H&R and Eibach. These are nebulous progressive spring rates, so I have no idea how they compare to a standard racing spring. I noticed the BSR runs 450/500.

I want to avoid the purchase of dedicated coilovers for several reasons. (1) The increased complexity often just causes more headaches than it's worth. Without a true data acquisition system and a shock dyno, trying to tune shocks is a nightmare and best left to the pros. (2) The corner weighting on my car is already close enough to perfect to not warrant fiddling. (3) I have no intention to fiddle with ride height. (4) $2000-$4500 is a lot of races. I think seat time in the new car will be more valuable to me than Motons.

So, the only options I see for getting a lot of spring without buying coilovers is: (1) Some sort of custom fabbed sleeve similar to a ground control sleeve over the stock shock combined with re-valving the stock shock (they are after all Bilsteins) (2) having a custom spring fabricated. (2) is probably not possible, and would probably be more expensive than it's worth.

Has anyone on here ever tried fabbing their own coilover sleeve?
iflyadesk is offline   Reply With Quote