View Single Post
Old 07-25-2007, 08:24 PM   #1
iflyadesk

Boxster in NASA-TTC

Hi, my name is Sam and I asked these same questions over on Rennlist. I enjoyed reading your "Autocross Monster" thread and others on setup, but I wanted to ask some more application-specific questions as well as some clarification questions.

Background
-New to racing 2002 Boxster S, but not new to racing. Have qualified pole in a $7k Spec Miata against national cars (which have $7k engines), so I can at least put down one fast lap.

-Want to build up Boxster S to win in NASA Time Trial class C

-Currently bone stock with street tires

Setup
-Current gripes:
(a) steady state understeer
(b) roll stiffness
(c) ultimate grip
(d) latent turn-in

-What I think will work
(a) bigger front tires & more negative camber (from lowering)
(b) stiffer springs or sway bars
(c) sticky tires
(d) sticky tires

-What I'm hoping you can help me with
--will my ideas work?
--what spring rates are popular?
--can I get away with not upgrading the shocks?
--have you driven the Pilot Sport Cup? --does it really work as a street/track tire?
--would you go with stiffer bars and softer springs, stiffer springs and leave the bars alone, or stiffer both to fix roll stiffness?
--what are the tricks for stuffing more tire in the front? --how big can you go?

-My goal is to modify as little as possible, not for $$ reasons, but simply because less is often better when it comes to tinkering.

-And of course, what am I completely neglecting to think of? (strut bar, blinker fluid, electric supercharger, etc.)

Thanks in advance for your advice, and I look forward to being an active member of the Boxster community.
iflyadesk is offline   Reply With Quote