Thread: Tire size
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2007, 05:26 AM   #4
Boxtaboy
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipola
This will look like a newby question but, what's that thing about understeering?

I bought my boxster with already some 225 in front. I find It great because some tires are hard to find in 205 size. But what does it change to drive with 225 or 205 in front?

Thanks
Ok, in layman's terms, let's say you are driving down a road and you are coming up to a right hand turn- as you turn right into the corner, the front of your car feels as if it wants to go straight instead of turning right. That's understeer. Oversteer is as if as you're turning right, the rear end of the car feels like it wants to swing out from behind you and make the car spin. That's the best way I can explain it.

Generally, if you are a more experienced driver, you like to have a bit more balance, and less understeer because you can better utilize the throttle to power through turns. I am sure that the lawyers at Porsche, however, encouraged designers to make the basic set up of the car to provide more understeer so that novice drivers don't end up spinning the car in turns, and thus causing litigation problems for Porsche saying that the car is dangerous.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote