View Single Post
Old 07-19-2007, 10:34 PM   #9
eslai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
98 oct is no better than 93 for our cars unless maybe you have forced induction or a higher compression ratio. You are wasting your money on expensive race gas.
Don't let yourselves be fooled--Australia isn't getting some crazy awesome fuel that we don't have in the US.

Octane ratings are measured in many different ways. 98 octane in Australia is roughly equivalent to 93 octane.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

And yes, motoadve, the 89 octane fuel you're using and the elevation would most definitely be affecting your horsepower rating on the dyno, however the tech that ran your dyno seems to have taken the standard "15% drivetrain loss" into account when saying that you're probably making only 225 horses.

That's an approximation only, and I have no idea how accurate it is. You also have the tiptronic transmission if I recall correctly. That would probably be sapping more power.

I wouldn't stress too much over the numbers. You seem pretty fixated about the amount of power that your car is putting out. If you were looking for high numbers, you've definitely bought the wrong car anyhow. Just drive the thing and be happy.