View Single Post
Old 07-18-2007, 07:48 PM   #10
pteam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in BR
i have thought about this and went through everything i can think of and i am stumped. Keep us up to date.
Thanks for helping Gary!

Ok I made it home! Thats about the only good news of the day. Bad bad day, cat had to goto the vet for brand new bladder problem (which my previous cat died from) , the porsche has this problem and its only a few weeks after I bought it, and my water heater for my house decided to blow today and its a 135 gallon (not cheap)

Anyways, I drove pretty much over 50mph the whole time and did some skillful passing to keep the air moving into the car. I learned this from a lincoln limo that the fans had gone out on the engine one time, and the whole time while driving at freeway speeds the engine would stay at normal operating temp, but as soon as you started to slow down they would creep up.

Also I put the car in neutral several times when I did have to slow down while coasting because of a few traffic lights or other cars, and always drove the car in top gear so the lowest rpms possible.

The temperature gauge on the car did not move at all. It stayed below 100 degrees the whole time. I'm guessing it needs a thermostat? I flew into the garage and turned it off ASAP. Then I took the engine cover off in about 60 seconds flat to help cool the engine off. I had no idea what the engine temperature was at but it didnt seem that hot and I drove with the top down and the heat on to help cool the car in case it was getting too hot.

The car drove normally, didnt smell anything funny, or hear any funny sounds. In fact I averaged 24 mpg.

When I pulled into the garage it did leak some coolant onto the ground. Not a whole lot but there was some on the ground. There was also a little bit in the driveway. There were also a few drops around the coolant cap in the rear trunk, but none on the carpet in the trunk. But when I took the coolant cap off in the trunk its almost at the top maybe 2 inches from the top, so its still really full.

Also I checked the burnt on one side fuse for the engine compartment fan, and even though it was burnt on one side the fuse tester lighted up green so I guess the fuse was still good, but I still replaced it with a new one.

I'm going to have my mechanic come to my house in the morning and run the code and see what it is, and see if it needs a thermostat, which I would think it does for sure. Can you get codes from a boxster with a regular car code reader? Why else would the engine temperature gauge not move at all?

If we can just swap a thermostat in ourselves that would save me $200 for a tow and $200 deducatable on my warranty through GE, and thermostats are like $10 probably. Does anybody know can you get a thermostat for a boxster at a local car parts store? Has anybody ever replaced these by hand / seen a guide? Dunno how easy it is or where it is yet. Anybody have a part number? Mine is a 01 S.

If that doesnt solve the problem then I'll be towing it to Porsche due to the fact that there was some coolant on the ground.
Supercharged Viper SRT-10 800 HP Special Edition #49 of #50 (current)
Ferrari 360 Spider
Lamborghini Diablo VT Roadster
911 Cab
Boxster S (current)
08 Hummer H2 (current)
BMW Z3 (current)

Limos in Ohio and PA - First Class Limo Columbus Limos

http://pteam.net/avatar3.jpg
my car collection *Porschephiles agree, Desnorkify your Porsche!*

Last edited by pteam; 07-18-2007 at 09:44 PM.
pteam is offline   Reply With Quote