View Single Post
Old 07-18-2007, 08:44 AM   #6
Perfectlap

the 3M hand glaze over the paint cleaner was not redundant. The 3M line is a three step much like other over the counter brands. You just skipped the 2nd step (sealing). The hand glaze probably contains some carnauba or carnauba-like oils that would not be found in a paint cleanser. 3M hand glaze if very good I saw it on my last visit to a high end body shop. I guess they use it on the old surrounding panels of freshly painted panels to make a nice even shiny presentation when the owner picks his/her car.

Zymol is very good. A bit of a pain as its not as concentrated as a Zaino or Optimum so you have to put more elbow grease into it. The pure Carnaubas like Souveran are used for show cars that rarely spend time outdoors. They are the best for layering if you are after a 'pool of water' type reflection but they don't last very long as they wash away easy with rain fall and car soaps and dust. The FX 100 sealant glaze spray is the way to go if you plan to use only Carnaubas. Just wait a few hours for Carnauba to dry before sealing it with Fx100. And wait a day before you add the 2nd layer of Carnauba. I once did 10 layers on a black car and it was blinding. But not easy as the paint had to be carefully wiped down to remove dirt before the next layer of Carnauba was applied. FX100 has little particles of Carauba that are crushed and smeared during buffing. You have to be careful when applying FX100 by spraying it into a foam applicator and not spraying it directly onto the paint since the little bits get airborn and end up on the soft top and then you have to rinse the top.
p.s.
get a high quality sprayer for the 425. It comes out too thick if you use a cheap sprayer and you'll end up wasting. Autogeek.net has a nice one that holds 32 ounces. FK1 use very cheap spray bottles to keep costs down.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote