View Single Post
Old 07-15-2007, 05:46 AM   #7
RandallNeighbour

You're right... I didn't get a PPI, but most all the stuff that needed fixing after the purchase broke, cracked or wore out after the purchase. The PPI would have only shown the main radiator needing replacement alone. The horn pad, O2 sensors, the tranny (developed a bothersome noise in 1st gear), the AC, the radiator overflow tank, the oil filler tube, etc. all failed within 18 months of ownership due to the age of the car and the mileage on it.

So mileage does matter. A porsche owner only fully understands this when he owns a high mileage boxster... which is not like older porsches because it has so many more plastic parts compared with the older 911's.

Like I stated before, if I had a chance to rewind time and do it over again as a first-time Porsche owner, I would have bought a much younger boxster with less than 25k on it and I would have bought an S with the larger engine. And yes, I would have gotten a PPI. Live and learn.

Of course, my next Porsche will be a CPO car with a Porsche warranty to 100k. That's the only way to go for me in the future. I'll let Porsche pay for all their poorly made pastic parts for a number of years next time around. The $3,500 bump in price to get a CPO car is a small price to pay considering I spent that the first year or so on my car.

I was one of those typical buyers who had never bought a Pcar before, wanted one my whole life, and had no money to spend. I bought the first boxster I found in my low low price range and I learned a valuable lesson typed here on this forum many many times:

"The lowest-priced Porsche you buy will be the most expensive Porsche to maintain."

Words by which to live. That's for sure.

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 07-15-2007 at 05:48 AM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote