View Single Post
Old 07-14-2007, 10:47 PM   #6
blue2000s
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
I bought a 97 with 84k on it three years ago for 15k. I had to put nearly 5k into it to get all the bugs worked out of it.

A 99 with 80 is not the car you want IMHO. My advice? Buy a much newer car with much fewer miles on it. Get one that's 5 years old or younger. Preferably, a 2003 Sbecause they had glass windows at the back.

What you save today by buying an older, high mileage boxster you will pay for in the next year or two to fix it up and keep it running well. I wish I had waited and saved my money up to buy a 2000 S in 2004....

No one ever regrets having a larger engine and more refinements. Every year, Porsche made the car better inside and out.

Moreover, some of the 98's and 99's had engine problems and had factory replacement engines that had cylinder sleeves not found on younger models.

The most recent edition of Excellence magazine has a great write up on boxster pricing. You should buy it and read it before you settle on any particular boxster.
It sounds like your car wasn't very well cared for by the previous owner. Did you know it was going to need all that work before you bought it? Did you have a PPI?

A neglected or abused car can go for a while without needing work. A well maintained car can go much much farther. That's why you shouldn't go by mileage.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote