View Single Post
Old 07-10-2007, 07:50 AM   #6
RandallNeighbour

I let one of my best friends drive my boxster a week after I got it and he backed into a curb and badly scraped one of my wheels. Fortunately, the wheels were non-Porsche crappy heavy aftermarket wheels and I wasn't concerned because they'd be replaced soon enough.

However, I learned a valuable lesson that day. Never let anyone drive your car unless they can prove two things to you in advance:

1. They know how to safely drive a Porsche (gear changes, brakes, wary of curbs and other obstacles, etc.)
2. They have the financial means AND personal desire to immediately pay for any damage they cause while driving your Porsche, avoiding a claim on your insurance policy if at all possible.

A few months ago, an older, wiser and very cautious friend of mine went out for a drive with me and I eliminated the curb rash issue by allowing him to drive it in the country where the roads have no curbs. He actually told me he'd repair any damage he might cause, and I know he has the money. However, he missed a shift and hit 3rd when he should have hit 5th and bounced it off the rev-limiter. At least it wasn't a missed downshift, which would have caused catastrophic damage.

Today, I'm thinking I will not let anyone else drive my car, even thought it's about to turn 11 years old and is only worth about 12k. I can't afford to replace it, and to tell you the truth, my friends and family don't have a friggin' clue as to how to drive a Porsche and I am not about to let them learn on my car.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote