View Single Post
Old 07-06-2007, 01:56 PM   #5
OldBlevins

[QUOTE=pteam]The oil level is 2 notches below the line. Looks good too me. Where should it be at right at the line? Should I buy a quart?

Also how do you know when an oil change is due? I just bought the car.
QUOTE]

Assuming you didn't buy the car from a private party (you'd have gotten maintenance records, yes?), can you check with the dealer that sold it to you on whether they did an oil change? I'd also check to see what kind of oil they used. (I got my Boxster from a Toyota dealer who had picked it up at an auction, and they had helpfully changed the oil but not used a synthetic.) If you can't find out, I'd suggest changing the oil just to be on the safe side.

Quote:

"The oil indicator test comes on when you start the car and moves around but I dont know what to look for. I havnt checked the oil level but I will."

On my 986, when the oil indicator first comes on, there's a little countdown number next to it to allow oil to drain into the pan for an accurate measurement. It takes about 30 seconds and the indicator flashes in the meantime. When the countdown hits zero, it shows the oil level. It kind of alarmed me, actually, the first time I saw that, til I RTFM.

2000 Boxster S, Speed Yellow, Michelin AS/3 tires, 60,000 miles...
... and climbing.
OldBlevins is offline   Reply With Quote