View Single Post
Old 07-05-2007, 10:22 AM   #12
Ronzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JB
Thanks Ronzi. If I heard them correctly they said the first engine was nicknamed the Carrera. They weren't referring to the car, just the engine.
I saw that program yesterday, and I agree that the 550 expert did refer to the 4-cam engines in the 550s as "Carrera" engines.
Far be it from me to take issue with information provided by an acknowledged expert in this area ... but I will anyway.
There is reference in Porsche historical literature to some type 547s as "Carrera engine(s)", but only in the context of them as the engine installed in the 356 Carrera and Carrera GT cars. The 550s were never called Carreras, even though the origin of "Carrera" in the Porsche lexicon refers to Porsche's success in the Carrera Panamericana road races of the early '50s. Much, but by no means all, of that success was attributable to 550s equipped with the 547 engine. The result of that success was the application of the Carrera name to a series of street cars, the aforementioned Carrera/Carrera GT models, most of which were equipped with type 547 engines.
In my view it would be more accurate to say that the Carrera and Carrera GT cars were equipped with "550 engines", than that the 550s were equipped with "Carrera engines."
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote