Thread: Clay bars
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2007, 09:52 AM   #15
Perfectlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo
Any feedback on the Liquid Clay Bar yet? My kid got some the other day and used it on his car (a Celica GTS). Washed, liquid clayed then applied some NXT Generation Tech Wax (Meguiar's). Did a pretty nice job. I'm thinkin' it might be a good choice for me: my Box is an '01 Seal Gray and the finish is in pretty good shape. (If the paint on my other car looked that good, I'd do NOTHING to it other than wash and occasionally throw a bit of wax on her.) Never having used clay bars before, I was thinkin' that the liquid version might be a tad gentler on a finish that doesn't really need much work.

Hey Yellow Jacket, the "other" car I referred to is a '96 Camry with paint that's (by and large) intact but is pretty cruddy looking (dull, oxidized, etc.). You think your protocol with the clay and the 3-step Meguiar's would suffice, or do I need to go with something more aggressive? (My dad would probably jump in with the compound paste, but that stuff scares me.) I'm new at this...suggestions from anybody would be appreciated.

Claybar all the way. The only thing other than a clay bar I might suggest for an older car (at least 4 years) that is parked outdoors allot would be paint decontamination. There are a few brands FK1's seems to be the most mentioned on Autotopia forums. FK1 claims it will replace claying altogether, don't know about that. But It's essentially one step beyond claying. The Claybar will "shave" off pollution and micro impregnated sediments but it won't get into the swirl channel. So short of caving in the swirl channel with an orbital buffer the paint decontamination kit is the only thing I can think of that will get beyond the top surface.

I was looking at the liquid clay bar at Wal-Mart the other day. Looks good but I still don't understand the point of a liquid clay bar. Claying is as simple as it gets, especially if you do it while the car is still wet after washing. Good idea to wash after claying too, clears away the crap that broke loose and is still on the paint.
all this stuff is kind of interesting because with proper care your paint can look brand new for 15 years or more.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 06-29-2007 at 09:55 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote