View Single Post
Old 06-15-2007, 12:08 AM   #3
boxsterz

The orientation of the transaxle is different in the boxster vs. 911. The 911 is rear engine and the box is mid, so you'd have to rework the rotation of the engine I believe. That is what I heard for 911 transplants in boxsters anyways...

The 13b can make decent power with a bridgeport or street port ~250 hp. Turboing can net ~400 until you run into apex seal problems. Apex seals are the weak point on those motors. At least that was the case +15 yrs or so since I've toyed with them. Not sure if metallurgy has improved enough to run more power.

Dimensions for the bare blocks are similar in that both are wide and low. The difficulty I see will be getting all the ancillary components to fit, e.g. A/C, alt., power steering pump. You'll have to be a master at fabing brakets.

Having said all that, I don't know the value in a NA conversion. If you go turbo, with the added complexity, why not look into Buick Grand National power? That's the swap I'd like to make. 600 hp reliably on the bare block internals. Depends on how radical you want to go. If you want insane fast, and don't care about stock, then you have the whole trunk to work with for intercoolers and all. There's not much difference in pricing between 13b and GN, but gobs and gobs more torque and power.

Whichever you chose good luck and keep us posted.