View Single Post
Old 06-14-2007, 11:03 PM   #1
tahleel

Mazda Rotary 13B Swap in a Boxster

I've been looking into building a nice weekend car. I've seen many Boxster's for sale, with engines with "internal damage." Seeing that this might be a common trend, I'd rather stay away from replacing the engine with another (costly) Boxster engine, only to have it fail with something that is unrepairable, or too costly to fix.

I plan on using a 13B engine (from a FC model), with a Kennedy adapter plate. The plate was made for VW tranny's, and I was wondering if it would work on the Boxster tranny. Does the Boxster have the same bell-housing pattern as the VW transaxles or the 911 transaxle? From what I've been told, the 911 transaxle can be used with the Kennedy adapter plate as well.

Besides that everything else should be cake. From what I've seen, the 13B has two side mounts, which shouldn't be too hard to fabricate. I'll be using the original Boxster tranny, so I wouldn't have to make any trans mounts.

As far as an engine computer, I'd run a standalone such as Megasquirt. It's been tested and works great with projects like this. The speedo and odometer should work, as I'm using the Boxster transaxle. The fuel guage should work, as I plan on using the stock fuel tank with an upgraded fuel pump. The coolant temperatue may work, depending on the proble placement, and sensor output. The oil pressure would not work, but who needs oil pressure anyways? :-D

And lastly, I'm not sure which years have the drive-by-wire. If it does come to that, I may be able to modify the stock pedals, and run the throttle cable into the engine bay. As far as the rest of the chassis wiring, it should remain the same.

I'd also like to retain A/C and powersteering. I will see if I can use the Boxster A/C and powersteering on the 13B via adapter plates.

I don't have the car, nor the engine yet, just the idea and plans. Any donations will be welcome. Advice, set-backs, etc is welcome and encouraged.

-Tahleel
tahleel is offline   Reply With Quote