View Single Post
Old 06-03-2007, 09:10 AM   #2
ultimate1

Send a message via AIM to ultimate1 Send a message via Yahoo to ultimate1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AraneaeFatalis
I just got rid of my 2003 Toyota MR2 Spyder because of the lack of storage space and the extremely small car with lack of power..

I'm looking into getting a Porsche Boxster between the years 1997 and 1999, but from what I've read on here, they can be a money pit in repairs..

Although some of the sites I've read on them give them good reviews on reliability, just how reliable are these cars? Especially if they are of higher mileage (65k-85k?) and if I get a warranty from my Credit Union, would it still cover most of the problems or would I be better off trying to get one from Porsche? The closest dealership is about 2-3 hours away, but I wouldn't mind driving that for every couple of months for just routine maintenance..

Any help/advice would be appreciated.. Thanks in advance.
I had many of the same concerns when I got my Box last year right around this time. I read a lot of reviews and writeups because I shared similar concerns. I would recommend that you get a 2000 with the 2.7 liter engine. Oddly enough the ones built in Finland are of better build quality as I had read and I am very happy with my choice. There were numerous problems with the earlier cars and a lot of those problems were corrected in 2000 and it makes sense that Excellence noted that the values for all Boxters went down every year with the exception of the 2000 base model as that went up in average value in last years market review. I think it was the July issue of Excellence.

I got my Box with 46000 miles for $19500 and spent about $2000 for some minor repairs such as new breaks, steering wheel/horn harness, horn and replacement of a few plastic parts so that the convertible would fold properly along with the 45000 mile service.

I have driven it quite a bit since I got it and I am at 72000 miles on it. I did purchase a warranty from smart auto warranty last year and I got a 3 year 36000 mile warranty for about $2300. The best part of it was that it has already paid for itself and I service the car at Porsche. The key here is to make sure your service guy is a good guy intent on helping you. I have read all kinds of horror stories about Porsche service and I know first hand that I expereenced this when I met with Braman Porsche in Palm Beach. Braman indicated to me that the 45000 mile service was $700 and change without me asking the cost and the the Service guy that I dealt with, I think his name was Tony so beware, kept trying to size me up to see if I could afford the $135/hour labor. Several strikes and this loser is out, I knew the service was about $450 or something like that and this guy tried to rip me off.

I took my car to Champion and they got me a loaner car and they have been excellent. My only complaint with them is that they arer so good that the majority of Porsche owners in the tri-county area bring their cars to Champion so you have to get in line to set up an appointment. I guess that is reasonable price for service and honesty. I can also attest that my cats went bad a few months ago ago and my service guy, Doug, called me to tell me that it is covered by the Porsche 8/80 warranty. His honesty saved me a grand. I have read about some of the forum members getting screwed by the dealership and having to pay for the new cat even though it was still under warranty.

Anyway, I hope this helps. If you have any questions about getting a warranty, just PM me because I have to look up the guy who got me my warranty.

Peace out and best of luck in your search for your Boxster
ultimate1 is offline   Reply With Quote