View Single Post
Old 05-30-2007, 02:20 PM   #1
nola mike

2001 boxster s v. '05 s2000?

ok, so i don't expect unbiased opinions here, but here goes...
i'll be getting a new car next month, and am having a tough (but fun) time deciding. looking for something in the $20-25k range, and have narrowed down my choices to 01-02 boxster s or 04-05 honda s2000. i haven't driven either of the model years that i'm looking at, but within the last 2 weeks have driven an '07 s2000 and '06 boxster s. my thoughts (long--skip to the end for my questions):
both put huge, uh, crap-eating grins on my face.
1. handling/ride: both were amazing, great steering weight, fantastic reflexes. the porsche had a bit better ride--you can feel everything in the honda, although it isn't harsh. the boxster was also quite a bit quieter on the highway (top up). for a daily driver, edge boxster.
2. gearbox: the honda is amazing. just fantastic. the porsche is very good, but a notch below the s2000. also drove an rx-8 immediately after the porsche--out of the 3, the boxster comes in 3rd.
3. engine: ok, not really fair because the '06 has 50 hp on the '01, but man, i was loving it. nice low end, incredible engine sound, very refined if you weren't at WOT. the honda is quick, and when the cams switch over at 6k rpm the car rockets with a surprisingly good engine growl for a 4 cyl. at low rpms it isn't anemic, but it doesn't scream either. clearly, if you're in "go fast" mode, you need to keep the revs up. advantage '06 porsche--unclear winner v. '01.
4. interior: tough call. the honda is minimalist, but i really like it. no clutter, no stupid electronics to break. oh, except for the speedo/tach. i much prefer the analog of the porsche. both cars have great seats, and fit me well (surprising given i'm 6'2", 190#). both had decent storage space, though the honda has a bit more. honda also has cupholders. i know this shouldn't be a huge deal, but i've never had a car with cupholders, and i'm tired of playing russian roulette with coffee between my legs. i've read that the '01 interior is cheaper feeling than the new models, and has poor ergonomics. i haven't seen one though. overall, the '06 was certainly fancier, but i'd say this is a draw. really all i want is a good driving position, comfy supportive seats, and easy access to the radio and hvac. both fit the bill here.
5. exterior: also tough. i really like the s2000, but the porsche is so damn sexy. i can't stand the plastic rear window, and the honda has hid headlights. still, slight edge porsche.

now, the s2000 is pretty much unchanged from '04. aside from the hp increase in the boxster (and glass rear window, and cupholders), i'm not sure of the differences between the '01 and '06. here are my concerns with the porsche:

radio: i like my tunes and my mp3. the honda has a simple din radio that i can easily swap out, while the boxster has one of these fancy all in one units--anyone know of an easy way to get an mp3 input?
cupholders: yeah, i know it's stupid.
reliability: this terrifies me. i've read about the rms issue, and it scares me, as does the thought of a 6-7 year old porsche. as do $2000 tires. the nice thing about the honda is it's a honda. they don't break, and parts are cheap. i've always worked on my own cars--does anybody work on their own car here? it seems like it would be a major PITA to repair anything in this car.
mileage: i like the thought of a sports car that gets 34mpg on the hwy (per consumer reports). what do you get in your s?

lastly, i think i'll have a hard time finding what i want in the boxster. they're scarce in my neck of the woods (new orleans, soon to be birmingham, al) for what i'm looking for (silver/black interior) in this price range. truly, if i'm rational about this, the honda is probably the better deal. i can get similar performance in a 3-4 year newer car for $3-4k less. it's cheaper to maintain/fix. but the honda isn't a porsche.
nola mike is offline   Reply With Quote