View Single Post
Old 05-29-2007, 07:03 PM   #3
Sammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_d
Another edict of racing is "How fast you want to go? Well.. how much are you going to spend".

Adjustable Coilovers are an excellent start (and luckily lots of options that range from PSS9s ($2000) to .. welll.. seriously LOTS of money possible here.

Sway bars too (adjustable GT3 front bar is a popular option)

Lightweight rims and tires (think big enough for 245's all around or staggered at 245/275 front rear. IMHO the boxster needs nice big fronts to help dial out understeer.

Tires.. Top time of day is HOOSIER. Next, Khumo V710s.. then, it seems pretty well split based on driver/car skills with Toyo RA-1s, Victoracers (if you can find your sizes) and maybe the new Nittos.

4 wheel competition alignment

Ok. Now that we've just spent about $5-8K dollars to go faster some other questions:

1) How often do you autocross?
2) What clubs do you run with?
3a) How is your car currenlty prepared? Are you already winning your class? What have others in you class changed to their cars?
3b) If you are winning your class, how close are you to FTD? (IMHO, even a base boxster, well driven is a top 10 car, maybe even FTD.
3c) If you haven't been to an SCCA Tour event, GO. It will humble you. Even the most well prepared BASE Boxster, on Hoosiers (allowed) and sway bars (allowed) will be incredibly quick.

Mostly what I am asking is, do you think the Mods are the only thing keeping you from being faster or, realistically, would the money be better spent on the DRIVER skills being further developed and only a few mods to the car.
Your comments are much appreciated and I'm sure you share my sentiment that there will never be the day that we can't improve upon our skills as a driver. Over the past few events I have had the pleasure of speaking with someone who has been autocrossing for 15+ years and says he is still learning. I most definitely do not think that mods are keeping me from being faster.

Regarding the mods, I don't have a definite goal other than to continue to become more competitive as I learn to drive better and tune my car to get the most out of it given my driving style. The FTD may happen someday but only because the shifter karts or the national champion in the 800 HP AWD Yugo stayed at home. There is always someone faster.

The coilovers make sense because I would like to lower it and have some adjustability in damping. Can I accomplish this in another way and maybe save a few bucks? I have no desire to adjust the ride height after it has been lowered a little but still want adjustability in damping?

I've read about the GT3 sway bar as well, but I'm a little concerned about throwing off the neutral handling that I like so well? Is this mod more valuable to the base Boxsters? Or does the adjustability allow for some other advantage?

Tire wise I run 17's (reduced weight and tire cost) with Victo's and so far so good. I'm thinking that when these wear out I'll be looking to increase the width both front and back. Probably won't go to Hoosier's for a while simply because I like to drive to the events.

Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote