View Single Post
Old 11-03-2004, 05:11 PM   #5
JonnyBGood

Wow. I got my install kit tonight and tried to put it in. Let me recount my install session Oh, before I begin, thanks for your directions UKBXSTR and Tool Pants.

Kit: 2 spin locks, 2 bolts.
Cost with overnight shipping: 82.00

I put the top down all the way. Took out the 2 plastic covers. Put in the 2 spin locks, no problem. The passenger spin lock needed a few light taps in order for it to get it into the hole.

I took the screw off on the carpet panel by the door behind the seat. I went looking for this hex nut that UKBXSTR refered to, but could not find it. When I pulled at panel, it seemed still attached to the car, but I didn't want to pull too hard. I just left it hanging there as I could get my hand in there.

I put the top up in order to get to the recepticle for the bolt. I did as people have suggested and put the bolt into a sandwhich bag so that I didn't lose the bolt if I dropped it. So it took me quite a while to get the bolt threaded because I started on the driver side and I'm right handed. This caused me to have to use my left hand to try to thread the bolt. It took a lot longer than one would expect to put a bolt in because of where the recepticle was. After about 45 minutes of putzing with this, I finally got it all in and no problems. Of course, as I was screwing the last bit of the bolt in, the carpet panel popped off and I finally realized where the nut was that was holding it to the car. It was hidden close to the roll bar between the roll bar and the carpet on the top panel. It is at an angle and can really only be gotten to with an open wrench. I will have to admit that it is MUCH easier with the panel entirely off as you can get a better angle at the allen wrench.

I proceeded to do the same on the other side and was easier to thread because of the use of my right hand, but I had a tougher time screwing the bolt in because I think the recepticle was tighter on the passenger side than on the driver side. I backed the bolt a bit, and took my WD40 and sprayed it by putting the top down just enough to see the bolt. Be aware that you can't put the top down too much as it will hit the frame of the soft top.

Okay, so here is something that I had not thought too much of as I was working. Trying to get my fingers in there and tighten up the bolt, I dropped the allen wrench. I just about had a fit. I've got an allen wrench in a area that I can't see. I can barely reach in there with my fingers, let alone try to pick up a little allen wrench. And I did not dare to put the top down as the wrench was probably jammed in there and would no doubt hurt something. I was ticked off and trying to figure out how I was going to have to pull the car apart in order to get to this little allen wrench.

I had my girlfriend take a look and she reached her hands which is smaller than mine in there and rattled around and found the allen wrench. What a life saver. So, on top of what people are suggesting with the plastic baggy, I would suggest that perhaps you might want to tie a string to the allen wrench as you're working. Especially if you've had to spray WD40 on the bolt like I did to get it to scew in more smoothly.

Also, make sure that the bolt is FLUSH with the recepticle before you put the top all the way down. The arm of the top will hit the bolt as you lower the top if it is not in all the way. And on that note, I would suggest that you put some grease on the bolt before you put it into the recepticle. Just to make things go easier when you have to screw the bolt in.

So, I'm ready to go pick up my hardtop tomorrow. Thanks again for everyone fo your help. This is why I like this board so much. You ask a question, and there is always someone who will help.

JBG