Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Video Center

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2016, 04:16 AM   #1

My Boxster on the track...

Hi,

I'm a member of Porsche Club Sweden, and they regularly arrange track days. I have visited some of them, and it's always great fun. Here's a video from the last one at Mantorp Park.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZB9V3GhJZ0

It should be noted that timing is strictly forbidden, since these track days are not for racing, but for improving our driving skill and getting to know our cars. It's also due to insurance terms.

My equipment consists of a OBDLink MX bluetooth adapter connected to my phone, running the Torque app with the TrackRecorder plugin. I also use a couple of cheap, chinese action cameras.

Afterwards I use Microsoft Movie Maker to stabilize the video. Then I put it all together with RaceRender 3. The videos are synced manually, which can be quite tedious.

fridsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 04:38 AM   #2

Looks good, I had hoped the OBDLink would refresh faster, I have Harry's Lap Timer and a Chinese elm327 blue tooth adapter that only refreshes once per second but if I capture several streams of data using durametric I get around 8-10 updates per second. In your video speed and rpm seem to.update only about once per second. Your adapter is the first on the list for Android compatibility ability. Maybe it is the software query rate?
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 06:23 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
Looks good, I had hoped the OBDLink would refresh faster, I have Harry's Lap Timer and a Chinese elm327 blue tooth adapter that only refreshes once per second but if I capture several streams of data using durametric I get around 8-10 updates per second. In your video speed and rpm seem to.update only about once per second. Your adapter is the first on the list for Android compatibility ability. Maybe it is the software query rate?
I hoped so too. It's a bit better than the old, chinese ELM327 I used before, but not as fast as I imagined when I bought it.
Old 09-11-2016, 07:33 AM   #4

I'm pledged to the race capture kickstarter from auto sport labs, I'm hoping the rpm comes in faster on that one...
Old 09-12-2016, 11:27 AM   #5
WALDMEISTER

Garage
I have a GoPoint BT1 + Harry's LapTimer.

Is there actually a GoPro cam (or equivalent) with optical picture stabilization available?
Old 09-12-2016, 11:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAN View Post
I have a GoPoint BT1 + Harry's LapTimer.

Is there actually a GoPro cam (or equivalent) with optical picture stabilization available?
Can you share one of your videos? What refresh rate do you get for RPM?
Old 09-19-2016, 08:04 AM   #7
Certified Boxster Addict

Nice video!

Looks like a beautiful day and a very nice track.

Your driving is smooth and you run a consistent line. Good job!

If I can make one small comment - the engine is sometimes at 3000-3500 rpm on corner exit. That is probably a bit too low as the engine has very little torque down at that rpm. This means that your acceleration out of the corner and onto the next straight is slower than it could be. Try dropping down a gear so you have the engine on full boil (>4500 rpm) at corner exit.

Great job and post up more video's when you get them. Thanks.

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 05:10 AM   #8

A few more videos from the start of this year's track season.
The in-cabin camera fell off during the second pass, and I couldn't get it to stick properly. This was also the first time that I had the hardtop on during a track day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXbShspY6n8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wY-HxjOEknk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DISP_rMHivs

I was talking to a gentleman driving a 997 turbo S in my group. He told me that he considered overtaking me on the straight, but decided against it since he realized he would be slowing me down in the corners afterwards...

Last edited by fridsten; 05-02-2017 at 05:13 AM.