Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Video Center

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2015, 02:19 PM   #1

DE track time at Road Atlanta

Just some footage from this past weekend running in DE2 with NASA Southeast. Sorry in advance for the noise. And yes, the non-S suspension can handle off-roading quite well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuEkYrOEkXk

Old 03-19-2015, 04:30 PM   #2

cool video, bad sound hehe

i will be there at the end of the month with PCA club racing, 1st time racing that track

what kind of lap time you did?
Paseb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 05:14 AM   #3

It looks like his best lap time was a 1:49 something, the lap that he starts by passing the Miata (good point by). The other laps at the start looked to be around 1:50 as well. Then the video transitions to you being stuck behind the Z-car for a few laps (not so good on the point by). Then the off road excursion. That is a scary little blind corner and when I play in Forza I always go off there in that same way.

When I was at Road Atlanta last June I was running 2:04 and not close to coming off due to my extreme slowness I am going back this November once I get my car sorted out and hope to get into the sub 2:00 range. I think one of my biggest problems was that I was "reactionary" and doing everything too late.

My best session with the consistent 2:04/2:05 didn't record but here is one lap that did:
Track Attack

When I watch this now it is painful and I feel like I see things I should/could have done differently Yours was very fast, well done! Thank you for sharing.

Steve
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 05:16 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paseb View Post
cool video, bad sound hehe

i will be there at the end of the month with PCA club racing, 1st time racing that track

what kind of lap time you did?
Going under the bridge and then down the hill is scary You have to aim under the bridge using landmarks like the squares on the bridge and the lines on the ground.

When I was there my son and I were in the media building at the bottom of the hill and saw a 991 come over the top of the hill, make a correction, get sideways, slide for a bit and then shoot over into the inside wall. BANG! All the airbags deployed, etc...

Good luck and have fun! Share some video when you get back

Steve
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 07:19 PM   #5

Thanks guys! Fastest lap was indeed a 1:49.5. I probably could/should have done high 1:47s had I had more clean track that weekend and actually strung together a decent lap. I don't have 1 down yet and am not terribly confident with 5. One big thing that helps is cutting the corner at 3 and hitting the curb- not everyone is willing to do that, which makes sense. It's hard on the car, and also easier in mine with the cushy stock suspension. I'll be in DE 3 next time (mostly faster cars, passing with point-bys anywhere on the track), so I should have more clean track and plenty of chance to improve my time.

I've also spent a lot of time working the start stand at Road Atlanta and have seen some nasty incidents in 12 and the front stretch, including a 997 Turbo into the outside wall coming out of 12. Car ended up on top of the the tire barriers. Driver walked away (they always have when I have been a witness, fortunately).
Old 03-21-2015, 10:03 PM   #6
Track rat

Garage
Nice smooth driving, well done! RA is a very fast track with solid objects around it. Good to work up slowly, get your car in the right place on the track and then add speed. Always remember the first rule of motorsport: "just don't hit stuff!"

So where is everybody? This track looks empty while we see run groups of 30 cars out west with lots of passing give and take.
Old 03-22-2015, 07:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless View Post
Nice smooth driving, well done! RA is a very fast track with solid objects around it. Good to work up slowly, get your car in the right place on the track and then add speed. Always remember the first rule of motorsport: "just don't hit stuff!"

So where is everybody? This track looks empty while we see run groups of 30 cars out west with lots of passing give and take.
At this beginning of this video, I had been a little late to grid and ended up being the last car out about 30 seconds after everyone else had left. I just cruised around until I saw a car in my rear view mirror to give myself some space, and the video starts shortly after that. The rest of the weekend had me around plenty of other cars.