986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Video Center (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Uncrating and Field Assembly of the P-47 Thunderbolt Fighter (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55041)

coreseller 12-07-2014 05:06 PM

Uncrating and Field Assembly of the P-47 Thunderbolt Fighter

Very Interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2D3k0sJ8HM&html5=1

Frodo 12-07-2014 06:24 PM

I just LOVE those old US Army instructional videos! Torque specs: two fingers on an 8" wrench :p

Seems like a pretty heavy aircraft for a fighter plane but I guess it must have been effective---I think it was utilized quite a bit in its day. If I was piloting one of the ones assembled in the field I'd sure hope it wasn't the first time that crew chief read those instructions. Gotta love the sound of that radial engine when fired up!

Topless 12-07-2014 08:39 PM

Thanks Core that was a great film.

The P-47 "jug" was a pretty impressive aircraft in it's day with very different characteristics than a light and nimble P-51 or P-38. Big, heavy, fast, and could really do damage with 8 wing mounted .50cal. She excelled at slash tactics and was an excellent ground attack aircraft because she could take a beating and still get you home.

:cheers:

Porsche9 12-07-2014 09:00 PM

The Jug was also known for it's ability to take a beating. Taking on damage and still bringing it's pilot home that would have brought down most other planes. Many stories of ME109 pilots unloading everything they had into the Jug and it still was flying. Flying tank!

Frodo 12-07-2014 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topless (Post 427616)
Thanks Core that was a great film.

The P-47 "jug" was a pretty impressive aircraft in it's day with very different characteristics than a light and nimble P-51 or P-38. Big, heavy, fast, and could really do damage with 8 wing mounted .50cal. She excelled at slash tactics and was an excellent ground attack aircraft because she could take a beating and still get you home.

:cheers:

Yeah, that sounds about right, obviously coming from someone who knows more about it than I do. Geez...8 x .50 cal !!! That's very impressive. I'd think you'd feel a noticeable drop in airspeed if you fired up all of them at once! :D

jaykay 12-08-2014 08:41 AM

Thanks ....watched the whole thing!

Imagine the boot full of right rudder you would have to give this thing on take-off!

coreseller 12-08-2014 12:00 PM

My father was in for 30 years, retired a Lt. Colonel. He was a HUGE WWII history buff which in my youth I thought was goofy, I use to walk in and "Victory at Sea" would be blaring on the TV (Field Artillary, 75% deaf) and tell him I knew how it was going to end thinking I was funny as hell. As the years scream by its amazing how much we turn into them lol.

Topless 12-08-2014 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaykay (Post 427638)
Thanks ....watched the whole thing!

Imagine the boot full of right rudder you would have to give this thing on take-off!

The old guys who flew them used to say that P-47 engine torque was monstrous. If you went full throttle from a standing start it would promptly flip the aircraft. :eek: Squeeze on the throttle, come up to speed, a little more throttle, a little more speed... Airborne!

Core,
My FIL was retired Lt. Col USMC and a WWII/Korea/Nam vet. He preferred not to talk about the action but valued loyalty, leadership and respect above all else.

coreseller 12-08-2014 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topless (Post 427676)
He preferred not to talk about the action but valued loyalty, leadership and respect above all else.

Neither did mine, he also had the same values almost to a fault. Any of my friends from my younger days showed him the utmost respect in kind, they loved talking to him since he talked to them as men, not kids......Another thing that took me years to understand. I miss the old guy more and more the longer he's been gone.........:cheers:

fleur 12-08-2014 05:49 PM

That video was very interesting to watch. Instructions were very clear though none of my ancestor was in military.