Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Video Center

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2014, 09:13 PM   #1

ICE will never be replaced by a electric motor...

....at least for me and this is why.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=liqoMjRT81A

89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 05:52 AM   #2
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Wow great video. Some really sweet sounding rides for sure!
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:16 AM   #3
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche9 View Post
....at least for me and this is why.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=liqoMjRT81A

Darn kids with their rock n roll music, horseless carriages, and electric what-nots!
ICE absolutely will be replaced by electric technology because technology always goes forward and never backward.
Noisy crap anyway...

You'll either get over it or be one of those cranky old guys that won't be around long anyway

Seriously...get over it already
Old 05-07-2014, 10:16 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
ICE absolutely will be replaced by electric technology because technology always goes forward and never backward.
Noisy crap anyway...

You'll either get over it or be one of those cranky old guys that won't be around long anyway

Hey you little whipper-snapper, get off my lawn!

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 02:39 PM   #5

@ Particlewave, who may have gotten up on the wrong side of the bed today:
Now listen up here Junior-

I may have a high efficiency heat pump at the heart of my HVAC, but when the luxury of time permits, I still build a real live flaming ball of fire in the fireplace or the chimenea. Why? Because I can, because I like it, because I don't want to become ungrounded, because I'm poetic/romantic, or for historic re-enactment, or whatever.

People like me don't evolve much with respect to who we are and what we like, we just adapt a little to get by in changing circumstances. We may all eventually die off. But there is a lot of us. And until we all do in fact die, there will still be people walking around who find the sounds of ICE's pleasurable, and will pay money to enjoy this emotional indulgence. Just like people pay lots now for the emotional indulgence of little rocks on rings, etc.
Besides, people that adapt too much tend to forget who they are. And sports cars that adapt too much run the risk of no longer being sports cars, whatever that means to the current generation, regardless of going fast or handling well.

So even if my DD becomes electric, if I have a weekend car - it may well be an ICE.

Anyway, the sound of little balls of fire exploding in carefully controlled fashion to power intricate machinery is very addictive. (Maybe that is why BMW faked this sound into the stereo of the M5).
I think this is what the OP is alluding to...

Lighten up a little, stop being so logical, and feel the music.
BrokenLinkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 05:29 PM   #6

Garage
The perfect compromise
McLaren P1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GW78XQicDC4&feature=player_embedded
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust

Last edited by jsceash; 05-07-2014 at 06:14 PM.
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Noisy crap anyway...

If it's too loud you must be too old. Ha ha

I suspect I will be become a cranky old man but I am absolutely sure a couple decades from now when I turn on my electric car it won't turn the heads of any of the boys living in the neighborhood but when I fire up my ICE powered Porsche the boys in the neighborhood will come out and stare in envy and desire as I drive by.
89 944 S2
78 911SC

Last edited by Porsche9; 05-07-2014 at 07:37 PM.
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 07:46 AM   #8
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenLinkage View Post
@ Particlewave, who may have gotten up on the wrong side of the bed today:
Now listen up here Junior-

I may have a high efficiency heat pump at the heart of my HVAC, but when the luxury of time permits, I still build a real live flaming ball of fire in the fireplace or the chimenea. Why? Because I can, because I like it, because I don't want to become ungrounded, because I'm poetic/romantic, or for historic re-enactment, or whatever.

People like me don't evolve much with respect to who we are and what we like, we just adapt a little to get by in changing circumstances. We may all eventually die off. But there is a lot of us. And until we all do in fact die, there will still be people walking around who find the sounds of ICE's pleasurable, and will pay money to enjoy this emotional indulgence. Just like people pay lots now for the emotional indulgence of little rocks on rings, etc.
Besides, people that adapt too much tend to forget who they are. And sports cars that adapt too much run the risk of no longer being sports cars, whatever that means to the current generation, regardless of going fast or handling well.

So even if my DD becomes electric, if I have a weekend car - it may well be an ICE.

Anyway, the sound of little balls of fire exploding in carefully controlled fashion to power intricate machinery is very addictive. (Maybe that is why BMW faked this sound into the stereo of the M5).
I think this is what the OP is alluding to...

Lighten up a little, stop being so logical, and feel the music.
All of that for a light hearted 3 sentence post? Somebody did wake up on the wrong side, but it wasn't me.
Don't worry. You'll get over it...maybe.

20 years ago I loved my 25 inch "flat tube" TV, but it does not compare to my current 60 inch LCD TV nor would I ever break it out for nostalgic purposes to watch National Lampoon's Vacation on VHS.

"I love my 1999 Posche 986, but it does not compare to my 2032 Porsche E-SC (electric super conductor) with regenerative phase induction loop and bearing-less levitron AWD active suspension. 0-60 in 0.92 seconds, top speed undetermined because the manufacturer had to put speed and torque restrictors on it so people don't launch themselves into space, but rumors have it that the 2032 Porsche E-SC has broken Mach 6 on the closed loop möbius drag strip."
-Future Me

I understand that people love their cars more than their TVs, but it is just a piece of technology that will continue to evolve, even beyond electric.
There will be a day when machines are controlled and articulated by manipulation of the very molecules that they are made of...fascinating and exciting stuff!
Technology always evolves and some will mourn the loss more than others. I just want you to know that I'm here for you if you need to talk about it

Open your eyes, think about others and be more logical.

Last edited by particlewave; 05-08-2014 at 09:29 AM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 07:59 AM   #9
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenLinkage View Post
People like me don't evolve much with respect to who we are and what we like, we just adapt a little to get by in changing circumstances
I've heard that about Alabama

Joking, of course...you walked right into that one.

Last edited by particlewave; 05-08-2014 at 09:17 AM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote