Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Off Topic > Site Assistance or feedback here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2006, 04:00 AM   #1
bmussatti

How Do I Edit My Signature?

I can't seem to edit my signature. I keep getting an error message about being over 500 characters, but I am not over 500 (excluding spaces).

I have PM'ed Brucelee, without success. Richard please help!

Richard, can you expand the limitations on the signature to maybe 600 characters?

How do I change the font size? The list shows numbers like 1-6. Which font is smaller...1...or.....6+? Thanks.

Old 05-09-2006, 05:18 AM   #2

First off your signature is ridiculous and should be removed IMO. Etiquette on most boards is no more than 4 lines of text and a picture if allowed and not overly large. Your signature take up half a page on the screen almost and is mostly useless info about your car, nobody cares about all your stock options. Just list a few on a line and be done with it.

Again what does this have to do with General Boxster discussions? Try the lounge maybe, even this isn't lounge material to be honest.

986Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 05:57 AM   #3
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by 986Jim
First off your signature is ridiculous and should be removed IMO. Etiquette on most boards is no more than 4 lines of text and a picture if allowed and not overly large. Your signature take up half a page on the screen almost and is mostly useless info about your car, nobody cares about all your stock options. Just list a few on a line and be done with it.

Again what does this have to do with General Boxster discussions? Try the lounge maybe, even this isn't lounge material to be honest.

Hey Jim, relax a little dude! I obviousley want to edit my signature, but can't. I did not post this info, Brucelee did a few ago, when trying to help me out.

There are several posters on this Forum that have as large or much larger signatures than mine.

The reson I listed the option codes is because people doing a search in the future may find valuable info and get a hit. I have seen more than a dozen "option code" questions over the past several months.

It was also suggested a few months ago, maybe prior to your arrival, to list more info in our signature lines to help other forum members better understand our specific cars.

I respect your opion...we may just disagree.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:03 AM   #4

Just FYI - The software is counting spaces to the end of the line -even if they are blank- in the 500 total. I had to have the techs "force" the long signature entry in. Even I don't have the capability to change font sizes & types and have asked the techs to look into it. Thats where we stand - when I find out something I will pass it along.

Thanks
Rkwei
rkwei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 09:20 AM   #5

Perhaps the forum is too generous!

Now that I think of it the 500 char limit is very generous....unscrupulous sorts may decide to use each character as a web link - meaning 500 possible free advertising opportunities...... so I may decide to enforce the limit, let alone forgo wanting to change fonts, italics, colors, etc.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:10 AM   #6

500 characters would include the link URLs and associated code..
BuffaloBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 11:59 AM   #7

I've decided

Bottom line is the "bmussatti" signature is a one-off exception - the first and last exception.

His signature will stay as it is now and if he wants to make any changes he will have to abide by the character limit just like everyone else.

Bmussatti, sorry to communicate this publicly in a post reply.

Rkwei
Old 05-09-2006, 06:18 PM   #8

Nobody is disputing is contributions to the forum, if he is a nice guy or if we like him or not. He has a Boxster so of course we like him. But 20 lines of info is a bit much. Normally no more than 4 lines is pretty standard across the web. I'm sure we are all a part of other boards and follow rules like that...

Just seems so lackadaisical around here, people post wherever they want about whatever they want, huge signatures and off topic posts all over the place, it's a mess in most of the forums...

To each their own I guess. I'm a moderator on a few other DSM boards and we don't let guys get away with stuff like that. Posting how to edit my signature in the general area would be grounds for a 1 week temporary ban on other boards..

Just my 0.02...
Old 05-09-2006, 06:37 PM   #9
bmussatti

I am going to go sit in the corner now! Someone please let me know when I can come out! I'll be a good boy!
Old 05-09-2006, 06:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
I am going to go sit in the corner now! Someone please let me know when I can come out! I'll be a good boy!

As the moderator and hopefully, your compadre, you DO NOT have to sit in the corner, you have done nothing wrong.

Your contributions to our little community are welcome indeed!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 06:51 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 986Jim
Nobody is disputing is contributions to the forum, if he is a nice guy or if we like him or not. He has a Boxster so of course we like him. But 20 lines of info is a bit much. Normally no more than 4 lines is pretty standard across the web. I'm sure we are all a part of other boards and follow rules like that...

Just seems so lackadaisical around here, people post wherever they want about whatever they want, huge signatures and off topic posts all over the place, it's a mess in most of the forums...

To each their own I guess. I'm a moderator on a few other DSM boards and we don't let guys get away with stuff like that. Posting how to edit my signature in the general area would be grounds for a 1 week temporary ban on other boards..

Just my 0.02...
Let me be blunt here, Jim.

You have an attitude and I don't like it.

If you would like to frequent another forum on Boxsters, be my guest.

Otherwise, cut the crap!

Respectfully,

Your Moderator!

:troll:

Old 05-09-2006, 06:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkwei
Bottom line is the "bmussatti" signature is a one-off exception - the first and last exception.

His signature will stay as it is now and if he wants to make any changes he will have to abide by the character limit just like everyone else.

Bmussatti, sorry to communicate this publicly in a post reply.

Rkwei
Thanks, Richard!

Rich

Old 05-10-2006, 04:57 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
Let me be blunt here, Jim.

You have an attitude and I don't like it.

If you would like to frequent another forum on Boxsters, be my guest.

Otherwise, cut the crap!

Respectfully,

Your Moderator!

:troll:
OK I'll ignore it all. I'm just used to having much tighter controls over the forums, but many of the forums I deal with are 100k+ members with many kids and you really have to be tight. I'm not saying thats the case here, but we don't let people post off topic in any forum they want.

It's your sandbox run it how you like. I'm a moderator nazi and I keep things in order on other boards, it's hard to go elsewhere and see things run completly differently. I will, however, try and not moderate where I'm not a moderator.

If you wan't me not to visit here anymore I'll stop. Just Pm me with your intensions. This thread has gone long and far enough off topic already.
Old 05-10-2006, 06:15 AM   #14

And I've moved this thread to the "Off Topic" Section of the forum under "Feedback".

I'm learning...Rkwei
Old 05-10-2006, 06:18 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkwei
And I've moved this thread to the "Off Topic" Section of the forum under "Feedback".

I'm learning...Rkwei

Thanks Richard!