986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Show and Tell Gallery (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   heres my new $3 upgrade :) (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8090)

djomlas 11-06-2006 05:38 PM

heres my new $3 upgrade :)

not the winter floormats, but the gauge trim.
i had some dust inside and decided to clean it up, so while i had the cluster out i decided to paint the trim piece aluminum color, same as the side vents.
what do you guys think?
and yesi know u can purchase these for about a 100 bux, but now i have $97 to spend on gas and clean dustless cluster :)

do you guys think i need any more silver pieces to accent it even more?
http://i14.tinypic.com/2lnvhuq.jpg

Travis 11-06-2006 08:28 PM

Looks nice, job well done and money saved!

And it really only depends on if "YOU" think the Box needs more silver.

I myself painted the door storage bin covers due to the fact they were peeling, but it did add some needed contrast, and it also was a quick DIY job.

-cheers

CJ_Boxster 11-06-2006 09:07 PM

Nice, how did u remove them before painting the rings or did u mask the entire cluster? If u removed them, how did u re-stick them?

RandallNeighbour 11-07-2006 06:47 AM

CJ, I think he just painted the black plastic itself while the entire cluster was out.

Now why didn't I think of this before I spent $100 and almost ruined my cluster with superglue on the faces? :confused:

djomlas 11-07-2006 08:09 AM

i pulled the cluster out, and masked everything off other than the rings themselves.

hardest job was masking off the clear plastic

KronixSpeed 11-07-2006 11:49 AM

okay thats a good job....but pretty hard to mask the round parts of the face....very cool.

djomlas 11-07-2006 02:39 PM

well i owuldnt say hard, just time consuming, so if u have a free hour u can get it done. really changes the look of the inside IMO, and its like free since i had paint leftover from the side vents :)

CJ_Boxster 11-07-2006 05:00 PM

I have some Chrome spray paint at home, Im going to paint my rings with that tonite, Ill take pictures in the morning or at work tomorrow once im finished. FINGERS CROSSED since i know chrome spray paint wont look like a mirror finish but atleast it'll be close to a glossy silver. :)

djomlas 11-07-2006 07:17 PM

my friend tried painting some stuff with that...well lets jsut say lots of nailpolish remover and new can of paint was bought.
looked really bad, and he can paint good too

good luck tho, id like to see the results, so post them when u get done

CJ_Boxster 11-07-2006 11:56 PM

Well I finished the job, lets just say... NICE!
I scuffed the surface after masking the cluster and before painting the rings so the paint would stick nice and good, I had to lay it on nice and thick and slow so i can get a texture free finish. I tried to paint my sidekick2 with this chrome paint and didnt get this great of a result like i did on the gauges.

CJ_Boxster 11-07-2006 11:59 PM

Oh yeah, i also painted the trim around the radio, I scuffed it, painted it with 2 coats to fill the bumpy texture, then sanded it smooth then repainted it with 2 coats to give it that smooth shine. I think im going to paint the rest of my interior parts on the weekend.

djomlas 11-08-2006 09:27 AM

so you painted the other pieces with the chrome paint as well?

CJ_Boxster 11-08-2006 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djomlas
so you painted the other pieces with the chrome paint as well?

Yes sir, they were the only peices i could pull off the interior in a moments notice.

Does anyone know how to remove the interior air vent blade, so that i may paint the housing and not the blades?

Perfectlap 11-10-2006 10:06 AM

great idea on painting those gauge rings. Its funny those silver rings are extra $$ even on the 911 Turbo. I've seen plenty of $100K with black rings while my little Boxster has them!

ohioboxster 11-14-2006 08:30 AM

What kind of paint did you guys use? Was the cluster hard to take out?

djomlas 11-14-2006 07:17 PM

i bought my paint at Murrays, it is Aluminum Paint, thats actually whats its called, and i also used that paint on the side vents.

cluster was easy to remove:
pull out the hazard button and ull see a screw in there
and also there is one screw in the little speaker thingy on the left side, a little harder to see.
take those out and it should slide out.
than all u gotta do is unclip the wiring harness.

should take u about 5 mins or so, just be careful and have some old t shirt or a towel so u can rest it on that not to scratch the plastic

thats all to it man as i remember it :)

CJ_Boxster 11-14-2006 07:36 PM

djomlas: you left one step out, When you snaggle off the 3 wire plug from the back of the cluster, Dont try and remove the Hazard button wires. You will have to flip the cluster so the back is facing you. Then you can see 2 more torx screws holding the cluster to the rest of the assembly. Once the 2 other screws are out, you can leave the rest of the cluster peices in a take the gauge cluster out the car for painting.

Paint i Used is called Dupli-Color CHROME. partnumber CS101.
Its quick drying but if you rub the finish after its dry, you will still get some chrome paint resedue on you... I suggest to clear-coat over it once its dry to prevent this from happening, Plus you get awesome shine!

I recommend also taking the peice i scribbled on below VVV off also, it has several torxs holding it in, Paint that silver also, I will be soon.

Adam 11-14-2006 09:11 PM

Wow..I have to admit it looks alot better than I thought it would. Good job guys.