Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2016, 11:10 AM   #1

Garage
MattLuttrell Black/Black Porsche Boxster Maintenance Log

Hi everyone,
When I take on a new project car I like to document my progress online. This helps me keep track of what I'm doing. It gives you guys a chance to give tips and tell me when I screw up.

Onto my car: 1997 Porsche Boxster, 60,000 miles. 5 speed. Black on Black. I love it.

It is very clean and the paint is in great shape.

I plan to:
  1. Replace all fluids
  2. Check vaccum lines
  3. Wax it
  4. Buy new wheels and tires after I sell the jeep this replaced
  5. Clean the MAF
  6. Inspect/Replace Cabin and Air Filter

Anything else I'm missing?

Last edited by mattluttrell; 12-25-2016 at 09:12 AM.
mattluttrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 11:12 AM   #2

Garage
I forgot, I'll also be replacing the radio with a cheap Alpine bluetooth unit. I did fix the radio codes on this car. However, I really like bluetooth though.

I've also ordered a DIN cup holder for the 6 disc player I am removing.
Old 12-21-2016, 11:28 AM   #3
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Hit those headlights with some Meguiars Plast-X and an orbital. Follow up with a hard wax. 5 minutes will make a world of difference.

Car looks great!
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 05:31 PM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Hit those headlights with some Meguiars Plast-X and an orbital. Follow up with a hard wax. 5 minutes will make a world of difference.

Car looks great!
Thanks! Meguiars better than 3M kit? I normally use the 3M and still have a kit. Just played with wax and CC Quartz on the hood. This Porsche paint is great.

I can't upload my picture from the mobile site. Is there an app?
Old 12-23-2016, 06:38 PM   #5

Garage
Added a Bluetooth Alpine radio in the middle DIN slot. Ordered hundreds of dollars of stuff. Air oil separator, poly belt, plugs, tubes, filters and fluids. Also ordered that headlight kit.

Engine is running worse in the cold. I assume I have vacuum leaks. I'll try the cigar trick.

Also had to buy secure torx bits for the MAF cleaning.

Hood after wax:

Vehicle this Porsche replaced:

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
Old 12-24-2016, 05:56 AM   #6

[QUOTE=mattluttrell;520316]Hi everyone,

Onto my car: 1997 Porsche Boxster, 60,000 miles. 6 speed. Black on Black. I love it.

QUOTE]

6 speed?
Old 12-24-2016, 06:24 PM   #7

Garage
[QUOTE=itsnotanova;520622]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattluttrell View Post
Hi everyone,

Onto my car: 1997 Porsche Boxster, 60,000 miles. 6 speed. Black on Black. I love it.

QUOTE]

6 speed?
Mine is a 5 speed. I'm not sure if 6 speed was available in 1997?

Old 12-24-2016, 11:30 PM   #8
Custom User Title Here

Garage
No, 1997 is 5 speed only, which is why it was odd that you said that you had a 6 speed.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 05:00 AM   #9

I figured it was a typo but wanted to make sure because I have heard of people putting the 6 speed behind the base motors
Old 12-25-2016, 09:14 AM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
No, 1997 is 5 speed only, which is why it was odd that you said that you had a 6 speed.
Lol. I fixed it. My other 2 cars are 6 speed. Guess I confused myself.

Massive 60,000 maintenance entry coming at the end of this week.

Still looking for some fancy wheels.

Old 12-31-2016, 12:23 PM   #11

Garage
Was getting a constant misfire on cylinder 4 warning. Replaced the coil and I can't get it to miss anymore.

I did the 60,000 mile maintenance.
Cleaned MAF
New air filter
New plugs (old were bad?!?)
Changed oil and filter
Changed transmission and differential fluid
Replaced front and rear trunk struts
Ordered Durametric for airbag codes.

The stutter is completely gone. It runs smooth and revs awesome. I thought my BMWs held a lot of oil (8 quarts). These engines are crazy. I'm not at all concerned about revving it.

Plugs are much easier than expected. Ground clearance is better than my M sport BMWs. There are more places to put the floor jack.

If anyone is changing their belt, it's fairly easy. You can do it without opening the top. A 1" socket works in place of the 24mm socket required. It is lose but you don't put too much pressure.

The oil filter socket is the big one you might have for your Honda or Tahoe. Don't need the fancy chrome one Amazon suggests. It would be nice if Porsche put the filters up top like BMW. Oh well.

Went ahead and ordered an air/oil separator after reading these forums. I'm not going to install it yet. I do expect to need it in a year or two though. Since I don't have any vacuum leaks, I don't want to create any accidentally.

I did notice that my corrosive wheel cleaner hits the aluminum block. Had to clean that off. That's something we should all watch.

Overall, I'm even more pleased with this car. I've got 60,800 miles on it and everything is running fresh.

I think some vented discs and red brake calipers might be in my future...

Old 12-31-2016, 12:32 PM   #12

Garage
Just finished my 60,000 mile maintenance. I did:

Transmission fluid change
New plugs
Oil and filter change
New polybelt
Front and rear trunk struts
Cleaned MAF
Replaced air filter

Also had a miss on cylinder 4. A new coil fixed the hesitation and miss. It runs awesome now!

The plugs are very easy to do. I was surprised. The polybelt wasn't too bad. Note: you can use a 1" socket instead of the 24mm socket suggested. Many of us have these in our impact sets. The oil filter needed the same socket as a Honda or Tahoe. Did not need a fancy chrome one that Amazon suggested.

The oil capacity (9 quartz) is crazy. I thought my BMWs held a lot (8 quarts). I won't be afraid to rev this engine. This has better ground clearance than the BMWs too.

Over all I'm very happy with the car. I feel very comfortable about the next few years as I'm only at 60,800 miles now.

I bought an air / oil separator but held off. I expect to need that in a while. Today, I didn't feel like accidentally creating any vacuum leaks. It's running too good.

Brake rotors were a little thin. I guess I'll get some vented discs, flush and paint those calipers next.

Old 12-31-2016, 12:34 PM   #13

Garage

New plugs
Oil and filter change
New polybelt
Cleaned MAF
Replaced air filter

Also had a miss on cylinder 4. A new coil fixed the hesitation and miss. It runs awesome now!

The plugs are very easy to do. I was surprised. The polybelt wasn't too bad. Note: you can use a 1" socket instead of the 24mm socket suggested. Many of us have these in our impact sets. The oil filter needed the same socket as a Honda or Tahoe. Did not need a fancy chrome one that Amazon suggested.

The oil capacity (9 quartz) is crazy. I thought my BMWs held a lot (8 quarts). I won't be afraid to rev this engine. This has better ground clearance than the BMWs too.

Over all I'm very happy with the car. I feel very comfortable about the next few years as I'm only at 60,800 miles now.

I bought an air / oil separator but held off. I expect to need that in a while. Today, I didn't feel like accidentally creating any vacuum leaks. It's running too good.

Brake rotors were a little thin. I guess I'll get some vented discs, flush and paint those calipers next.

Old 12-31-2016, 01:32 PM   #14

Garage

New plugs
Oil and filter change
New polybelt
Cleaned MAF
Replaced air filter

The oil capacity (9 quarts) is crazy. I thought my BMWs held a lot (8 quarts). I won't be afraid to rev this engine. This has better ground clearance than the BMWs too.

Overall I'm very happy with the car. I feel very comfortable about the next few years as I'm only at 60,800 miles now.

Old 01-01-2017, 08:09 AM   #15

Garage
Testing

Old 01-01-2017, 08:10 AM   #16

Garage

New plugs
Oil and filter change
New polybelt
Cleaned MAF
Replaced air filter

Plugs were bad

Now trying to buy some new wheels

Old 01-02-2017, 03:27 PM   #17

Garage
Excited for these new wheels to arrive:

Going to pair them with the cheaper Firestone tires:

Old 01-03-2017, 02:32 AM   #18

Before you wax it, get the paintwork compounded. There's a lot of scuffs on that front bumper that wax won't hide.

I have a Black 986 too, and this is what the paint can look like:

It's worth it take it to someone to get it machine polished, then wax it to your hearts content. While they're at it, get them to run the machine over the headlights too as they'll come up like new.

Bi-xenon Headlight Upgrade | 987 S 18" Anthracite Alloys | Android Head Unit | 5000k 55w HID's | 5000k Cree DRL's | 5000k Cree number plate lights | Cree LED Indicators | One-touch roof operation | Bypass exhaust pipes | Parking sensors | Ambient footwell lighting
geraintthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 01:51 PM   #19

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by geraintthomas View Post
Before you wax it, get the paintwork compounded. There's a lot of scuffs on that front bumper that wax won't hide.

I have a Black 986 too, and this is what the paint can look like:

It's worth it take it to someone to get it machine polished, then wax it to your hearts content. While they're at it, get them to run the machine over the headlights too as they'll come up like new.
That looks amazing. The wheels look great too. Yeah I have the polisher. I need to wait for it to warm up here. I'm going to take detailing to a new level. I've always wanted a black car; this is my first. The BMW guys talked about clay baring the finish too. I need to learn about that.

Mine has always been in a garage so I know I have some great clear coat left. Also need to touch up 4 small knicks.

Man, those wheels and brake calipers look great!

Old 01-03-2017, 01:55 PM   #20

Garage

Just swapped out the heater control. This looks much better. Only one light (air bag) remaining...

Tags
boxster , new guy