Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2017, 05:40 PM   #1

Red face Adam's '03 Base

I've been here a couple of months now, and love this forum and the people in it. I've learned so much, and have definitely been bitten by the mod bug. I've wanted a P-car since riding in my best friends dad's 911 and 928 when I was 10.

I wanted to keep track of everything that I'm doing to my new (to me) '03 base. I'm the 3rd owner of the car, got it with 104k miles from a PCA member in Ohio. So...sorry in advance for the story, but it's for me as much as to share with all of you.

Here's Max (the previous owners named her Max, but we like it).

Attached Images

Last edited by agrennan; 06-19-2017 at 05:43 PM.
agrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 05:45 PM   #2

Here's a picture of my first mod. The ashtray delete. Not a big deal, but I like it. I would like to reincorporate the light I removed from the ashtray, but haven't figured out how best to do that yet.

Old 06-19-2017, 05:49 PM   #3

Next up were the side marker lights.

Old 06-19-2017, 05:54 PM   #4

After the first time I had her out in the rain, I realized how badly I needed to clean and seal the top. I used the 303 products, and am really pleased with the results. Here's some before, during, and after shots.

I didn't have a lot of luck with the tape keeping the sealer off of the windows and paint, so next time I think I'll just spray carefully and do an immediate wipe off and clean up.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:01 PM   #5

So after all these cosmetic updates, I went out to an AX event nearby to watch everyone run, and meet some of the local PCA crowd. The day was 95 degrees, and I ended up driving around for about 3 hours enjoying the car. When I got home I thought I smelled coolant, and sure enough, the next morning found a leak.

So, I drained the coolant, and removed the water pump and thermostat. The pump had broken impeller blades. I did a complete flush with distilled water, where the blades ended up coming out as sediment and debris. I then installed the new pump and low temperature thermostat from Pelican. And then refilled with the Porsche pink unicorn tear coolant. All in all, everything came out great.

My original drip:

Pump with broken impeller blades:

The remains of the blades (there were other buckets too):
Old 06-19-2017, 06:04 PM   #6

On to more cosmetic refreshing. Here are the cheap eBay center caps installed. I'd love to get some of Fred's custom high end anodized gems, but I think there are plenty of people in front of me for runs that haven't started yet. So...this is better than nothing for now.

Old 06-19-2017, 06:11 PM   #7

Next I added a dash button for the spoiler. I don't have any idea why Porsche puts it in the wheel well to begin with, but I like it where I have it now. I don't use the button a ton, but like that the LED indicates when it's up or down.

Old 06-19-2017, 06:21 PM   #8

And since I have the CDR-23 radio with MOST in my car, there was no phone hookup for music or calls. Not sure I'll be making a lot of calls, since the top will almost always be down, but still...

I ended up buying the Tranzit Blu HF, and am amazed at how good it sounds. I was expecting a lot of static and bleed through like some of the FM transmitters I've used in the past, but this thing is really solid. And with the Bose package in the car, I'm having fun listening to my music again. Although, the flat six is still my favorite track...

Got mine on Amazon, but they are available all over:

This is the antenna adapter you need for the CDR23:

Song info coming through the head unit:

Mic next to the visor:
Old 06-20-2017, 03:48 AM   #9
I am No. 1348

Garage
Hi Adam, very nice write up and the car looks awesome. Looks like you've learned quite a bit on the forum!

I also installed the TrasitBlu in m Box and absolutely love it. After hemming and hawing about upgrading to a 7" 2 din Infotainment system, I decided I wanted to keep the radio stock so as to keep my BSSE original.

The Bose system sounds amazing with this. I have SeriusXM satellite radio on my iPhone and now can listen to non-stop music on those long trips.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:10 AM   #10
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Great write ups and welcome! I have an 03 Base as well. On the ashtray delete, I did do a low tech repurpose of the ashtray light by simply drilling a small hole in the rear of the new cubby and taping the light into place near (but not touching the hole - originally had it poking through, but noticed the heat was melting the plastic). This provides a nice little ambient light in the cubby.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 08:19 PM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by algiorda View Post
Hi Adam, very nice write up and the car looks awesome. Looks like you've learned quite a bit on the forum!

I also installed the TrasitBlu in m Box and absolutely love it. After hemming and hawing about upgrading to a 7" 2 din Infotainment system, I decided I wanted to keep the radio stock so as to keep my BSSE original.

The Bose system sounds amazing with this. I have SeriusXM satellite radio on my iPhone and now can listen to non-stop music on those long trips.
So where did you all hook the 12v wire?
kbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 06:16 AM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbike View Post
So where did you all hook the 12v wire?
Most who have done any radio blue tooth or phone mod use a four wire plug under the radio compartment. Pull the front side covers off along sides the console it is under there.

another post.http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/51438-what-center-console-wire.html
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust

Last edited by jsceash; 07-08-2017 at 06:24 AM.
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 11:25 AM   #13

Garage
phone connection. It provides both constant and switched 12v power.
Old 09-07-2017, 04:20 PM   #14

Have you had any issues with overheating or the like since flushing and refilling the coolant?
Were you able to find all of the pieces, some, most, or a lot of dust?
I think I'm facing the same issue and am pulling the pump tomorrow.
robdelorenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 02:08 PM   #15

Nice rims!

steele21 is offline   Reply With Quote