Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2015, 11:45 PM   #1

Just got this baby...

Hey all,

First time poster and first time Porsche owner; looking forward to experiencing it fully!

Photos of my new car below, is in pretty good condition overall, and was presented very nicely (maybe too nicely - is the striping of the carpets a normal way to display cars?? Checked the carpets out and all in perfect condition) and was well priced at around £7000.00

Dealer fitted new brake pads and sensors along with two new air-conditioning condensors which can be a common failing on this model apparently. The air-conditioning was also re-gassed as part of the process. They've cleaned the brake discs too, but it's left a yellow film on them - can anyone confirm this will be removed as I drive it?

Thanks in advance to anyone that gets back to me!

Old 08-15-2015, 12:41 AM   #2

Congrats on the great looking car.The wheels are a perfect match.

Many car cleaners at dealer's like to vacuum the carpets in such way as to add some flair to the presentation.Don't know why.

The rotors do turn a bit hazy yellow with disuse as it is harmless surface rust.The tint will disappear quickly with a short drive.

I Prefer the 03 and 04 to my 2000 as you have the better looking front and rear clips and it enhances the wings.The glass rear window beats my plastic.You
also have a glove box.Don't leave your note case in there.Thieves will nick!
Old 08-15-2015, 02:22 AM   #3

Thanks! And thanks for your advice. I looked at some 00-02 models too but the main thing was the slightly more sleeker roof and the glass rear window; thought about aftermarket top etc, but decided I may as well just go for a newer one with a roof in decent condition.

One of the first things on my list though is to get the calipers painted red... I know that's just mainly cosmetic but feel the wheels would just make the whole car pop a bit more once they look tidied up.

And yeah... Don't know if I'll maintain the vacuum- striped carpet lol!!

Any other easy mod suggestions for a beginner will be very much welcomed!
Old 08-15-2015, 04:45 AM   #4

The striping is a result of shampooing, at the detail shop I worked at we would vacuum again afterwards, for a final clean and to get rid of the lines. I think some places leave it as "proof"that they shampooed.

Congrats on the car.
alm001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 04:57 AM   #5

I nearly went to look at that car ! Bought an identical one a bit closer to home your wheels are nicer. I have had mine a month and loving it I'm sure you will
Coxey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 01:42 PM   #6

Garage
First post and you included pictures! Outstanding Welcome to the forum and Porsche ownership, you won't be disappointed. Painting the calipers is fairly easy to do, here are a couple of threads to get you started.

http://986forum.com/forums/diy-project-guides/41668-painted-calipers.html

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/35410-red-caliper-paint-%96-closest-original.html
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 01:47 PM   #7

Nice car! Enjoy!
JRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 10:30 AM   #8

Garage
Text moved to new thread

Last edited by Davo; 08-17-2015 at 10:06 PM.
Davo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 01:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lax150 View Post
One of the first things on my list though is to get the calipers painted red... I know that's just mainly cosmetic but feel the wheels would just make the whole car pop a bit more once they look tidied up.

And yeah... Don't know if I'll maintain the vacuum- striped carpet lol!!

Any other easy mod suggestions for a beginner will be very much welcomed!
Welcome! That's a very nice and clean looking car you have there. Painted calipers will make the car look much better, even though it's just look, like you said. I painted mine yellow.

My first two mods after I got my car were HID Projector retrofit and aftermarket headunit (with Bluetooth, of course).

Last edited by hancock1701; 08-18-2015 at 01:40 PM.
hancock1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 07:12 AM   #10

Thanks so much for all your suggestions and comments... Picking up this week so I'm sure I'll be on here more after that! probably gunna have to get a professional to do my calipers as I'm not very technical and don't want the first thing I get changed to mess up!
Old 08-24-2015, 06:49 AM   #11

Also, I don't know if anyone can advise or not, but I have been looking at new alloys, as I'm not a huge huge fan of the Sport Classics - don't get me wrong, they're in excellent condition so am not looking to replace these straight away - but am looking at the following and just wanted to know if these could be quite easily put on the car and whether they would also need any spacers etc:

18" Style 1054 Alloy wheels for Porsche Cars - 1054018 | Design 911

If anyone has anything similar on theirs I'd love to see some photos just to actually see them on a 986!

Old 08-24-2015, 08:09 AM   #12

Lax, watch the weight on aftermarket wheels (often heavier), and avoid using them if you track your car (not as durable under heavy stress)... the factory Porsche wheels are drop forged and far stronger than most aftermarket wheels unless you're spending a LOT more than even factory replacements cost for true racing wheels.

Congrats on that beautiful car, even if the steering wheel is on the passenger side. I guess someone drives you around while you sit in the driver's seat? Seems like it would be more fun to be a passenger in your Porsche so they could drive it

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 08-24-2015 at 08:11 AM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote