Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2010, 06:25 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to 986rgt
New to me wing

Got this from a fellow forum member about a month ago, and have been hunting down any info on mounting position since. Finally took the plunge and drilled the deck. From the looks of some factory photos of the official aero 2 wing, its gotta be pretty damn close. Now all I need to do is get the rear wing disable wiring harness and I'm good to go. I think the carbon looks good with the black bumperettes, black GHL, and the black interior. I was concerned it would look too ricey once it was on, but I'm happy, one more step towards being a very one of a kind car.

Oh, it's a Carbon Creations Maston wing, a.k.a. a carbon aero 2 w/o the 3rd brake light. Would not have done it had it not been for the awesome deal I got from fu03steve, thanks man, it looks great!

Steve

986rgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 07:23 PM   #2

Spoiler

Can you just take the fuse out for the spoiler? Or does it fuse something else too?
TRACK: '97 986 Spyder/Fiber rear/aluminum diffuser/B&B headers/carbon hood/ducted ctr radiator/TechArts with Yokohama slicks/AaronV custom cage/H&R coils/Cobra seat/Simpson 5 point///STREET: '03 986S/TechArt wheels/ H&R springs/titanium tower bars/B&B exhaust///OFF-ROAD: '06 Cayenne S/yes, I do use it in the dirt!
jmunoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 07:25 PM   #3

Put Together

Love the front 3/4 angle on the car! Looks very predatory. Very put together. Nice!!!
TRACK: '97 986 Spyder/Fiber rear/aluminum diffuser/B&B headers/carbon hood/ducted ctr radiator/TechArts with Yokohama slicks/AaronV custom cage/H&R coils/Cobra seat/Simpson 5 point///STREET: '03 986S/TechArt wheels/ H&R springs/titanium tower bars/B&B exhaust///OFF-ROAD: '06 Cayenne S/yes, I do use it in the dirt!
jmunoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 08:51 PM   #4
Carnut

The whole theme of the car is nice, wing is good, not rice at all!
AndyA6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 08:03 AM   #5

Garage
Car looks great. However, I would paint the bumperettes to match the the rest of the vehicle. The matte black on them is the wrong color value to complement carbon. Personally, I would "tie" things in by either matching the side mirrors to the wheels in gloss black or adding carbon to them to compliment the wing. In any case, your boxster is one of my favorites on the forum . Great job !
Old 07-31-2010, 01:24 PM   #6
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger
Car looks great. However, I would paint the bumperettes to match the the rest of the vehicle. The matte black on them is the wrong color value to complement carbon. Personally, I would "tie" things in by either matching the side mirrors to the wheels in gloss black or adding carbon to them to compliment the wing. In any case, your boxster is one of my favorites on the forum . Great job !
Kinda agree with Johnny, here. Maybe paint the bumperettes to be a glossy black, and maybe the mirrors with a carbon finish. I have to say, if not for the good amount of black already going on with the car, you'd probably be right to feel it would look a little off, but I think it looks great. The whole car's very tastefully done...and I'm a sucker for red and black.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 05:15 PM   #7

Thanks for all the compliments guys.
I was thinking the bumperettes needed a touchup today as I was helping another boxster buddy flush his brakes and remove his GHL. We were using my car for reference on putting the bumperetes back on, and I thought to myself, "they're really not black any more, more like gray". I guess I will have to something about it
Old 08-03-2010, 10:01 AM   #8

i've got to chime in as well... beautiful car! Well done for sure!

If I may ask, what tire sizes are you running on your Victor Zehn's? I'm thinking about buying a set of 18" Lemans or Zehn's at the moment and I'm wondering if I can run 235/40/18 fronts and 275/35/18 rears on stock 98 non-s suspension w/o any spacers, etc... And how have you liked those wheels, by the way?

Anyhow, again, awesome job so far! Definitely one of the best looking Boxsters on here!

-ian
favino1006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:13 AM   #9

Your car looks great! I've always been back and forth on how I feel about the speedster humps, but after the style growing on me with the new Boxster Spyder, and seeing your car, I might throw my set on the car now!

Some stuff for sale: M030 S 24mm front sway bar, M030 base 19.6mm rear sway bar, 996 GT3 OEM Porsche Motorsport front strut mounts monoball "camber plates"

WTB: looking for some 5-7mm spacers with extended bolts
chaudanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 03:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by favino1006
i've got to chime in as well... beautiful car! Well done for sure!

If I may ask, what tire sizes are you running on your Victor Zehn's? I'm thinking about buying a set of 18" Lemans or Zehn's at the moment and I'm wondering if I can run 235/40/18 fronts and 275/35/18 rears on stock 98 non-s suspension w/o any spacers, etc... And how have you liked those wheels, by the way?

Anyhow, again, awesome job so far! Definitely one of the best looking Boxsters on here!

-ian

I'll have to check for you on tire sizes, but I'm fairly sure I run the tire rack recomended size for 18's. I'll check for you tomorrow. As for the rims go, I love them, they are straight! My old 18 turbo's were nice but they were getting beat up on my NE roads and the zehns are a little lighter too.

Steve
Old 08-03-2010, 07:20 PM   #11

Awesome, thanks for the info Steve. Now if I can just decide, Zehn's or Lemans... haha. I love how they both look. I have 18" sport classic replica's now but, they need to be relacquered badly and they're just a bit rashed as well. But honestly, I'm just wanting to change up a bit I've always loved the sport classic spokey look, but, the Zehn's have grown on me. I totally love them in all black but alas, I have a black box and black wheels on black cars ain't that cool. Anyhow, thanks in advance for the tire info as well! -ian
Old 08-03-2010, 07:43 PM   #12

zehn lemans

I put a set of 18's lemans on my 01 a few months ago, 225 /40 fronts 265/35 rears. I was sick when it came out of the shop, too much wheel well showing in the rear, made the whole car look smaller...another $700 ltr H&R springs took it down an inch and all is well again. I went from the 993 turbo twist with no lip to the lemans with a small lip, took a little getting used to.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:42 PM   #13

Like Lbrown says, my tires are Front 225/40 - 18 and rear 265/35 - 18 I'm running Kuhmo Exsta MX's. Every tire has a slightly different way they sit on a rim, some have a lip that sticks out a bit more on the sidewall, or more of a square sidewall to tread transition. This will have an effect on how the tire looks in the wheel well. I am pretty happy with the Kuhmos coming from Perelli Rossos. Pretty aggressive tread pattern, if I had the cash for em, I would get some Pirelli Corsas. They are excellent in the dry, not as good in downpouring wet, but the car hardly sees rain anymore as it has become mostly a toy since I had my little boy. Although now it gets lots more use as he always wants to ride in "daddy's car"!

Steve
Old 08-04-2010, 07:41 PM   #14

I almost went with the Zehns

but my buddy who owns an 02 911 convinced me to get some lip on the rim, he likes his lip JJ Walker style lol and I prefer something a little more subtle.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:54 AM   #15

Awesome, thanks for the info guys. I apologize, I never meant to highjack your post about the wing Steve! haha. Your car really does look amazing. One of my favs on here for sure.

Anyhow, yeah, that was my next question; how does the 225/40's fill out the rim... Which you answered perfectly Thanks for the photos as well, Lbrown. Your car looks great. And clearly, the 225 flushes out the wheel very well.

My front tires are just about dead, so I plan to get the wheels when I replace the those tires. But my rears have plenty of tread on them so hopefully, I'll transfer them over. Although, seeing you guys running 265's, I'm now wondering if they will fit! They're Michelin PS2 A/S Plus 275/35's and they have the squarest, tallest side walls I have ever encountered on a UHP tire. I wonder if I can even get them on those back wheels. I'm not sure if my current 18 rear's are 10" or 9.5... Oh man. I'm going to be bumming big time if those tires don't fit. I guess I'll write Victor Equip. and see if they have any info.

Thanks again for the info guys. I'm thinking I'll most likely go with the Lemans as I really am fairly partial to that sport classic look. If my car were only red w/ a black interior... this would be a no-brainer Although, I've now thrown a third contender in, haha. The Forgestar F14's in gunmetal look pretty freaking cool on a black box and they're quite a bit lighter. But, it looks as though they may have load-bearing issues. But, that is certainly a topic for a different thread!

-ian

Last edited by favino1006; 08-05-2010 at 06:56 AM.