Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Off Topic > Regional Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2019, 10:05 AM   #1

Thumbs up Texas Drivers?

Howdy,
I've seen some of y'all post that are in Texas, but I was wanting to see who I may have missed and if anybody would be interested in a meetup. There's a Porsche group here in College Station, but I would love to have a meetup to see some more 986's.
I would also like to know where y'all take your cars to track at. Since Texas World Speedway shut down, it's been pretty dull in College Station.

'03 S - Orient Red (sold)
Fiddlebog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 11:44 AM   #2
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlebog View Post
Howdy,
I've seen some of y'all post that are in Texas, but I was wanting to see who I may have missed and if anybody would be interested in a meetup. There's a Porsche group here in College Station, but I would love to have a meetup to see some more 986's.
I would also like to know where y'all take your cars to track at. Since Texas World Speedway shut down, it's been pretty dull in College Station.
A&M Alumni?
Old 08-29-2019, 12:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
A&M Alumni?
Class of 2016!
Old 08-29-2019, 12:49 PM   #4
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Class of 2016!
You graduated just when I began serving, since then, many of your alumni and current student body. Of all the clients, from all walks of life, I've served since 2006... the A&M crowd hands down are the best!

Gig 'em!
Old 08-29-2019, 05:40 PM   #5
Racer Boy

What's with Texas people, especially college grads? An acquaintance is a Longhorn graduate, and he can't help but always bring that up, and how awesome Texas is. I always ask him if it's so great, then why has he lived in Washington for 40 years? I also used to race against an A&M grad, and it was a very big deal to him. In fact, his license plate read "Gig Em". He too had lived in Washington state for many years. I tried to get the Aggie and the Longhorn to fight, but it never worked out.

I've also have talked to other Texans who can't help but go on and on about what a terrific place it is. I don't get it - from what I've seen, it's no better (and some parts are truly awful, like Beaumont) than any other state. Is there some kind of required brain-washing of children growing up that makes Texans feel that way?

Sorry for peeing on your parade, you can go back to your Texas Mind-Hive now.
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 06:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Boy View Post
What's with Texas people, especially college grads? An acquaintance is a Longhorn graduate, and he can't help but always bring that up, and how awesome Texas is. I always ask him if it's so great, then why has he lived in Washington for 40 years? I also used to race against an A&M grad, and it was a very big deal to him. In fact, his license plate read "Gig Em". He too had lived in Washington state for many years. I tried to get the Aggie and the Longhorn to fight, but it never worked out.

I've also have talked to other Texans who can't help but go on and on about what a terrific place it is. I don't get it - from what I've seen, it's no better (and some parts are truly awful, like Beaumont) than any other state. Is there some kind of required brain-washing of children growing up that makes Texans feel that way?

Sorry for peeing on your parade, you can go back to your Texas Mind-Hive now.
I don't recall either of us having said Texas is great, just that we live here
I'm not looking for people to talk about how great Texas is, but instead how great German cars are.
I mean, sure, it's a pretty good state for country driving in. Lots of empty roads with high speed limits. But no need to bring a fight to where there wasn't one.
Old 08-29-2019, 08:05 PM   #7
Racer Boy

I'm not trying to bring a fight, just some humor.
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 05:27 AM   #8
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Boy View Post
I'm not trying to bring a fight, just some humor.
I got it.
Old 09-01-2019, 12:38 AM   #9

Texas sucks! It's always 100 outside and it never rains. It's real boring here too! That's at least what I wish the rest of the country would think. Honestly, I wish everyone would quit moving here. My appraised value on my property has gone up $80K in the last two years.

To answer the op's question. For asphalt tracks, COTA is the best but very pricey. Followed by MSR in Cresson and MSR in Houston. Both tracks are ok DE tracks but not the best for racing. There's also Eagles Canyon up in Fort Worth. It's in the process of being redone and is only partially open to DE's. Word is that it will be the best bang for the buck once it's completely done. The owners race spec boxsters and took a lot of cues from TWS. Everyone is excited for it to be officially open. Hallet over in Oklahoma is a really great track too
Old 09-01-2019, 07:17 AM   #10
Damn Yankee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
There's also Eagles Canyon up in Fort Worth. It's in the process of being redone and is only partially open to DE's. Word is that it will be the best bang for the buck once it's completely done.
I've driven the short course at the new Eagles Canyon, and it is awesome. Billiard table smooth surface, elevation changes, and lots of variety in the corners. This is not your mama's point-and-squirt track. Runoff area was not done yet, but it should be done by Sep. 14th, as there is a PCA DE scheduled for that day.

Just sayin'..........

TO
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 10:18 PM   #11
01 Basalt Metallic 986

Garage
Moved to Austin 3 years ago and bought the 986 2 years ago. Been tinkering with it ever since and driving it to some nice curvy roads, but never tracked. Woody is an hour drive away and has helped me with a bunch of parts and advice (Good Ol' Woody). Just a student enjoying life with a 986 and in the process of becoming an Aggie as I finish my transition program at ACC.

Last edited by JimmyBad; 09-03-2019 at 10:21 PM.
JimmyBad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 08:32 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyBad View Post
Moved to Austin 3 years ago and bought the 986 2 years ago. Been tinkering with it ever since and driving it to some nice curvy roads, but never tracked. Woody is an hour drive away and has helped me with a bunch of parts and advice (Good Ol' Woody). Just a student enjoying life with a 986 and in the process of becoming an Aggie as I finish my transition program at ACC.
Austin is Boxster heaven. Out west in the hill country there are some really great hills and curves. You're going to be very disappointed when you end up in College Station. There are a few good country roads around here, but a lot of them don't have wonderful pavement.
Old 09-05-2019, 05:51 AM   #13

Quote:
Austin is Boxster heaven. Out west in the hill country there are some really great hills and curves. You're going to be very disappointed when you end up in College Station. There are a few good country roads around here, but a lot of them don't have wonderful pavement.

Great way to explore the roads just west of Austin.

As our roads get more crowded (and they are great roads), remember there's likely to be
a group of cyclists right around the apex of that blind curve.

I prefer to really explore my Boxster's limits at HPDE events (and ClubRacing)

Mike
seningen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 06:35 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by seningen View Post

As our roads get more crowded (and they are great roads), remember there's likely to be

Mike
That's this weekend! Looks pretty fun, though.
Definitely have to watch for cyclists. Can't blame them for enjoying the same roads we do, though. Not that I ever would do such a thing, but if I was going to carve around on some twisty roads, I would never do it without a spotter.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:11 AM   #15
01 Basalt Metallic 986

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by seningen View Post

Mike
I can’t believe I missed it! I had no idea of such thing called Boxstoberfest. I’ll have to wait till next year now.
JimmyBad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 11:14 PM   #16

If you have been aching to take to the wide open roads of Texas or have started planning a trip to Austin or the beaches of Corpus Christi, you’ll need an automobile driver’s license or a motorcycle license or endorsement. cabinet refacing seattle wa
rhainne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 01:41 PM   #17
NewUserName

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhainne View Post
If you have been aching to take to the wide open roads of Texas or have started planning a trip to Austin or the beaches of Corpus Christi, you’ll need an automobile driver’s license or a motorcycle license or endorsement. cabinet refacing seattle wa

DoninDel is offline   Reply With Quote