986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Regional Forum (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Colorado Springs Car Show -- Need your advice! (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12820)

humble_programmer 08-22-2007 06:14 AM

Colorado Springs Car Show -- Need your advice!

This weekend is a car show in Colorado Springs (http://www.coloradomotorbuzz.com/shows.html) to raise money for local charities. My wife & I plan to enter our "Car Zero"--Boxster Anniversary Edition #0000--but we've never done this before. Are there any "been there, done that" car show veterans willing to share some advice and words of wisdom with a couple of neophytes?

Grizzly 08-22-2007 11:20 AM

I looked at the flier for your show and it looks like a very casual show for charity. In my opinion, these are the best shows. You get all types of cars, so there's plenty to look at, and something for everyone. This is a people's choice show, not a concours event, so you don't have to kill yourself to prepare. Of course, you want the car to be impeccably clean, both inside and out, as not to embarrass yourself.

I always try to arrive very early. The first cars in typically get placed at the end of the row for their class. Those are the cars that get noticed, as opposed to the ones jammed in the middle of the row.

Invariably, something will happen on the way there, so you want to have (at minimum) spray detailer, several microfiber towels, glass cleaner, tire dressing and an applicator, a lint brush for the mats, carpet and convertible top and some bug and tar remover.

Take a good look at the car when you get there and remove any bugs or tar you've collected. Remove everything from the car. You don't want any "stuff" inside detracting from its looks. Think of little things to make it present well, like adjusting both seats exactly the same way. If your mats aren't perfect, take them out and stow them under the car. Wipe down the whole car with the spray detailer (including the wheels), clean the glass inside and out, run the lint brush over the carpet, top, etc. to pick up any stray lint and lightly dress your tires (including the tread). When you're done cleaning, put your supplies in a Rubbermaid container or something and set it aside. Don't throw your cleaning supplies back in the car. Now, relax and enjoy your day.

Since it's a people's choice show, I would show the car with the top and windows down, unless it's too dusty. People love convertibles. Also, as you're preparing the car, don't forget to thoroughly clean both luggage compartments, as most people show their cars with the hoods and trunks open. If you do show it with the luggage compartments open, remove both luggage compartment light-bulbs so you don't kill your battery.

Don't forget to pack some cold drinks, sunscreen and a couple of folding chairs for yourself and your wife. If you plan to stay for the whole event, it can be a long day.

Now, if you were entering a concours event...well, that's a whole other story. Here's a 68 page pdf on how to prepare for one. You might want to glance at it just as a reference for what you want to address before the weekend.

http://www.brackenrig.net/Concoursstuff/concours101.pdf

If you enjoy yourself and decide to show the car regularly, I would have one of those little sign boards made so that everyone can read how special that car really is.

Good luck!

humble_programmer 08-27-2007 06:38 AM

What fun! We were one of two Porsches surrounded by a sea of American Heavy Metal, but drove away with one of the "People's Choice" awards! The weather was perfect for a car show--mid 80's under cloudless blue skies--with nearly 100 cars entered in the "Show & Shine" competition. "Best in Show" went to a chopped and lowered '48 Ford with an impressive flame paint job, and "Best Restoration" went to a '78 black Pontiac Trans Am--the Smokey & The Bandit model--that still had the original sticker in the window. ($8,179 fully loaded...I wish!) On the whole, it was a fun waste of a Saturday, and we'll definitely do it again in the future...

djomlas 08-28-2007 10:23 AM

o nice man, glad to hear that you and your wife did well.

mind sharing what you did in preparation as noted by Grizz?

humble_programmer 08-28-2007 11:05 AM

Following Grizzly's suggestions/advice, we:
  • Thoroughly washed the car the night before;
  • Made a poster explaining the uniqueness and history of 'Car Zero"
  • Got there early and got a great slot on the end of a row;
  • Removed all non-essential items from the car;
  • Showed the car with the top down and the windows rolled down.

Once our Box was parked in it's slot, we then:
  • Used "Windex Wipes" to clean all the glass and mirrors;
  • Used a lint brush to de-lint all the carpeting and leather;
  • Wiped down the entire car with a microfiber towel;
  • Ran a baby-wipe over the tires (don't laugh...it works!);
  • Brought folding chairs, drinks, and sunscreen.

Of all of these, the lint brush turned out to be the most useful: picking up all the bits of fluff really dressed up the passenger compartment and enhanced the appearance of the car. We actually ended up de-linting the car two or three times to get rid of stuff blowing in the wind.

Grizzly 08-28-2007 01:14 PM

Hey! That's great...an award the first time out! Congratulations!

porsche986spyder 08-28-2007 01:31 PM

Congrats! I love going to and entering car shows. I used to do auto-x but now it's only car shows for me. Less expinsive on my wallet and allot easier to win stuff. Keep it up! :cool: