986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   986 Logo (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9873)

gdwyer 03-05-2007 07:26 AM

986 Logo

I have found the 986 logo I want for the back of my car on the 'bumperplugs' site, but was wondering if anyone else has installed it?

Is the existing 'boxster' logo mechanically fixed or just stuck on?

Best method for removing it?

Are there drill holes to be filled?

Do you need to re-spray the boot to get the outline of the old logo to dissapear?

Which would look better, the black 986 on silver, or the silver on silver?

Any help would be much appreciated.

G

CJ_Boxster 03-05-2007 09:45 AM

easy, Boxster emblem is attached with double sided tape, use dental floss to remove it, and then use your palm to rub off the left over double-sided tape. no holes at all. lay your 986 emblem by centering the 8 over the area where the S in boxSter was placed.

porsche986spyder 03-05-2007 10:10 AM

Yes, the Boxster logo comes off easy. It's just put on with 3M tape. Same as the 986 replacement. It also comes in chrome. I used a hair dryer to heat it up first before removing the logo. This makes it allot easier to take off. When you heat it up, the 3M tape expands and becomes soft making it easy to pull the entire emblem off at once. I also used some "goo-gone" to remove the adhesive. It's safe for all paint. :cheers:

gdwyer 03-05-2007 10:32 AM

Thanks a million guys!

As we say in Ireland, Go n-eiri an bothar leat.

dcallas 03-05-2007 01:15 PM

I did the same mod, and it is very easy. I want to second what porsche986spyder said - using Goo Gone is key! You can get most of the lingering adhesive off with your finger, but GooGone will get rid of the rest very easily.

CJ_Boxster 03-05-2007 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcallas
I did the same mod, and it is very easy. I want to second what porsche986spyder said - using Goo Gone is key! You can get most of the lingering adhesive off with your finger, but GooGone will get rid of the rest very easily.

I used Miguires Polish to remove the rest. Didnt even notice a ghost image until after i had the car professionally detailed.

porsche986spyder 03-05-2007 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJ_Boxster
I used Miguires Polish to remove the rest. Didnt even notice a ghost image until after i had the car professionally detailed.

The Goo-gone will get rid of the ghost image. :cheers:

edevlin 03-05-2007 02:13 PM

I was suprised how easy it was to do,

Ed

:cheers:

porsche986spyder 03-05-2007 02:51 PM

Looks good.

Hey I noticed that you have amber bulbs in your tail lights, which make that turn signal area amber instead of clear. If you want to get rid of the amber in them, buy some chrome/silver colored bulbs. They still blink/flash amber so they are still legal and yet look much better when they are not on. That's how mine are. Makes them look clear when not in use :cheers: