Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2023, 02:22 PM   #1

Unhappy Ignition key help

Hi folks,

I have 99 Boxster, yesterday when tried to start the engine the key jammed, I tried again and then it started to freely rotate in both directions without any engagement or igniting the engine. After a few times trying I managed to start the car and turn it off completely.

What do you think is the problem? I heard there are three components, one is the cylinder where the key goes in then the steering lock, and at the end there is the switch. Which part do you think is faulty? On Design911 I looked up the part numbers. The first part which is the mechanical cylinder is around 1000 Euros! I hope it is not that.

Any help or DIYs recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Matt.

Mattdavidez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 06:08 PM   #2

Garage
Have a look at this article:
https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/86-ELEC-Ignition_Switch/86-ELEC-Ignition_Switch.htm#:~:text=Then%2C%20turn%20the%2 0ignition%20switch,to%20pull%20out%20the%20assembl y.

First thing I would do is check that the cylinder has not just slipped of place... remove it using the paper clip as shown in the photos then reinsert it and make sure that it clicks into place. I find that to get the paper clip in you have to turn the key to a bit past the position 1.

I have a used lock mechanism with the cylinder and one key that I would sell for considerably less than 1000 euros... less than 100 euros. But likely you can find used parts a lot closer if you need to.
1987 924S 5-speed (Sold) - Blue 2000 Boxster 5 spd (Sold)
elgyqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2023, 12:48 PM   #3

How is your battery?

Is your battery on good condition?
I believe that with a dead battery you could not remove the key from the switch..

Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
#ignition , #ignitionswitch , #key , #starter , #starterkey